the jeans I wear

I feel really bad.My mother told me she didnt like what I was wearing cause my pants were way to baggy for me.And its in style.I put on some wait and lots of the stuff I buy are really tight on me.So I took a chance and bought some size 14's and they feel comfortable cause they arent to tight.

I will continue to buy whatever I want with the money I make.She has no right to tell me what to buy.

I dont like being nagged at.I break down and cry.

Patty

Hi Patty

You don't say how old you. I'll guess you are a teen. I'm an adult and a father of two girls and a boy. My youngets girl is 17 and I've heard the wars that she and her mom have over clothing.

I think you'd better get used to your mother or your father having negative things to say about the way you dress. It's a battle you'll have for a long time. I'm not saying your Mom is right about the way you look. I'm just saying that she's an adult and she has her way of thinking and she wants you to follow that way.

Don't forget that she has spent many many years before picking your clothing, your food, your bedtime, where you went, etc. If you are a young teen now don't expect that all of a sudden she'll stop caring about those things.

What can you do? First of all make sure you don't dress like a hooker. That's going to be trouble for sure. But since you want to wear baggy pants I guess that's not the problem.

Keep standing up for yourself when it comes to how you dress. But don't yell and scream about it. Talk with your Mom about what you like. Don't try to convince her in one day, expect to take a long time to win her over. Show her pictures of other teens, maybe singers and stars thast dress the way you like.(As long as they look good.) And win her over one piece of clothing at a time.

Another thing to try, and this is important : Don't let her see you wearing the same thing (jeans) everyday. Try dressing differently if only for half a day each week. Keep at it and try to be mature about it. I'm 50 and my wife still comments about my clothing.

• 3 weeks later...

Patty- I was a size 14 , 2 and a half years ago and my mother complained my clothing was too large- I'm a 6 now and she still complains (and I don't even live w/ her!). I agree w/ the other recommendation, now and then wear a different style especially if say you're out shopping w/ her- it'll get your mother off your back and you get to dress comfortably most of the time. Don't let it stress you too much.

you mom will always be your mom, therefore, she is going to "comment" on what you eat, what you wear, what things you like to do to relax and the company you keep -- even if you are already out of the house, married and with kids of your own!

Don't let it stress you though, just let her exercise her parental rights, then respectfully tell her that you dress as you do because it's a bit more comfortable, not because you're trying to hurt her feelings or anything. And keep telling her that even if you do it until you get blue in the face. Eventually, it will sink in (mine didn't understand why I didn't stay home whenever I visited, and I had to explain that because I used vacation time to visit, I liked being able to seeing my friends every one in a while, too ... she finally understood, now I have to get my dad to understand! And I'm almost 40!)

• Author

I guess thats true,moms will always be moms.I never really thought of it that way.I guess they just want whats best for us.I sometimes comprehend things wrong and take things wrong until she told me "I was only trying to help you out".Then I understood she didnt mean anything by it.Me and my mother are doing much better.

Patty