my parents disapprove..

me and my girlfriend just moved in together about a month ago. My parents have been strongly against it from the beginning. It even made my grandmother cry when we told her about it. They say they are "disappointed" and i dont understand why. Why are they making such a big deal out of us living together?

dropdeadlegs

I'm guessing either religious or moral values. They may feel ashamed that you do not share the same values. Many people are fearful that others judge their raising of you by your decision to co-habitate prior to marriage.

I'm 42 and if me and my BF were to visit and stay in my parents out of state home, we would not be permitted to sleep in the same room. No matter that I'm twice divorced, lost my virginity many years ago, and sleep with my BF at home. Their house, their values, which is why I would stay in a motel. :)

• Author

but the thing is, i was never raised in a religious environment. We never went to church or anything as a kid, nor do we now. I dont even think we have a bible in our house

dropdeadlegs
but the thing is, i was never raised in a religious environment. We never went to church or anything as a kid, nor do we now. I dont even think we have a bible in our house

Neither did my family. My Dad doesn't believe in God the way many do (he's agnostic.) But, his moral values don't approve of living together before marriage.

Funny thing is that my mother was pregnant with me when they got married, so either his values have changed, or it's only okay for HIM to sleep together before marriage. ;)

Regardless, you're of age and can make your own decisions about your values. Living together before marriage is so common. They don't have to approve, although I can see how their disapproval could be uncomfortable for you.

My son and his girlfriend have lived together for years, have a daughter, and another baby on the way. They still aren't married and I don't personally give a flip, but his girlfriend does. She would very much like to get married. me, I think it's a good idea to test the waters before tying the knot. dating and living together are two different animals, and marriage requires living together for most people.

have you specifically asked your parents why they disapprove, or have they mentioned any reasons?

Citizen Erased

Nothing gets my grandmother up on her high horse then living together before marriage. Unfortunately for her I live with my boyfriend, my sister lives with hers and my mum lives with her partner as well. But she accepts that it is none of her business and we will live our life how we want. Your family will just need to learn to deal, nothing much you can do until they calm down.