Divorced and In debt

In all that I am going to say, I know I am the stupid one and I should have made a better decision, but I didnt. So right now I just need advise

My ex husband and I separated October 2017, he refused to move out of our home saying he cannot afford to move.End of Feb 2018, I decided to move out. We got divorced and I chose to give him the house, still being paid for by him at that point. Once I got my divorce papers I wanted to remove my name from the house, but the bank refused, apparently, the process is the same as him buying the house so he cannot afford it on his own.

I asked him to fix whatever needed to be fixed by end of September 2018 so we can sell the house, He said he had nowhere to go and he wasn't ready to move. I would not have had a problem with this if he was paying the mortgage.

Cut the story short, He still lives in the house, mortgage hasn't been paid for more than 5 months plus lawyers costs as the account is handed over, the property has been on the market for a few months, its not selling. at this point I have ran out of options as to how to solve this issue. If the house gets repossessed Ill be liable for payment not him as he is not working anymore

These questions should definitely be asked to a lawyer, not an anonymous internet forum of unqualified strangers.

You need to avoid more mistakes which could make matters worse, and the best way to do that is to consult a professional.

• Like 1

Talk to a lawyer. You want to talk about a concept called waste. The lawyer can file a suit to force your EX to sell & the bank should be OK with a short sale. Do not let your EX make your finances worse.

The lawyer can file a suit to force your EX to sell & the bank should be OK with a short sale.

And you'll want to do this sooner rather than later as this landscape is changing. Don't let denial and inaction add to your financial pain.

Put me down as the third person saying "get a lawyer" - today!

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

I agree... if he won't be reasonable... then get a lawyer. YES... a lawyer will cost more of what you don't have... but it will keep you from being totally screwed in the long run.

If the house gets repossessed Ill be liable for payment not him as he is not working anymore

The term is "foreclosed" not repossessed and you'll both be liable not just you, doesn't matter that he's not working it doesn't let him off the hook.

Probably oughta lower the price on the house even if you're almost giving it away, better than a foreclosure that's for sure.

Lokin4AReason

thats a question for the lawyer to answer because he knows the law ... BUT

if you have the free time, you can do the homework on the steps or process of getting it out of your hair asap