Community Forums

Reload this Page Community Forums > Breaking Up, Reconciliation & Coping > Separation and Divorce

How to proceed

Separation and Divorce Considering ending your marriage? Going through a divorce? Let us know!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2017, 1:50 AM   #1
New Member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
How to proceed

My husband and I have been separated for almost 3 years now. I havenīt even seen him once during that time, since we live in different countries.
We married while backpacking and traveling and never really managed to settle into a more quiet life. Money was always an issue and at the end we just wanted different things out of life. These werenīt irreconcilable differences but surely big enough.
I heard he has a new gf now, and heīs in a better place. More goal focused I guess and I am happy for him
I woud like for us the get back together one day, but circumstances make it really hard to reconnect now or ever.
However, I do want to get divorced. My married status is really annoying. Canīt even buy a car without his signature (at least in my country), so given he chose to move on, I choose to get a divorce.
We talk from time to time, exchange some emails, but it always quickly end up with me begging to get back together and him trying to dodge my requests, so eventually I got fed up and asked for a divorce.
Nevertheless, everytime i bring this up he completely shuts down and stop responding my emails. I offered to cover the cost, and even flying him to my country if that's what he wants. I said he could get it done in his country, and yet no word from him.
How should I proceed? I really want to either get back together or get divorce, but I canīt do either without him.
ChicaLunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2017, 1:20 AM   #2
New Member
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 7
Are you sure you can’t? What do laws in your country say? Have you talked to your lawyer yet?
Jane1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 7:16 AM   #3
Established Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 210
I canīt do either without him
Are you sure about that? How about just serving divorce papers on him? I know it's hard when it's not what you really want, but maybe you're searching for his agreement when you don't need it. Serving papers should at least make him jump one way or the other. Otherwise he has control of the situation by doing nothing, and you're stuck where you are.

For sure he likes having a 'wife' in another country who occasionally begs him to get back together, without having to meet her ever. That's a nice ego massage which he's probably quite fond of.

Alternatively, travel to see him and move in with him, explaining that you're married and it's perfectly normal. See what he does. A bit extreme, but you get my drift?

Also - from another of your posts, from Sept 2016:
... since I JUST got divorced like 4 months ago.
Did you?

Last edited by K Os; 5th January 2018 at 7:45 AM..
K Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 8:21 AM   #4
Established Member
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 14,821
Definitely seek a divorce lawyer, file and have him served with the papers. That should speed things along. Maybe he doesn't want to come back for the divorce.
stillafool is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
on how to proceed... Stage5Clinger Dating 6 28th July 2015 5:18 PM
How to proceed SycamoreCircle Dating 4 12th August 2014 2:47 PM
How do I proceed? Storm_Chaser Second Chances 6 25th June 2014 4:00 PM
How to proceed with this guy? mbee Second Chances 6 1st June 2014 5:59 PM
What Does She Want? I Don't Know How to Proceed... learner75 Second Chances 2 6th September 2009 3:25 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 1:27 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.

Copyright © 1997-2018 All Rights Reserved.