An unavoidable hurt from the loss of love and friendship

My ex moved his belongings out of my apartment today. We hadn't seen each other since last Oct. since he moved to OR. He looked so handsome. He was tanned, had lost a good amount of weight, and gotten nice muscles. He looked happier and healthier, and I'm genuinely happy for him. Despite the fact that I am over him, the whole experience of separation was very sad. I wanted to speak with him and have some sort of closure or discussion about the end of us, but I found myself barely able to maintain eye contact for very long before wanting to cry. I just felt and still feel so sad about the end, or essentially, the loss of what was once a fun and loving relationship. I kept thinking about how this was the last time we would ever see each other unless we randomly run into each other sometime in the future.

I helped him move a few things and when he was making his last trip we said goodbye in my doorway. He apologized to me for the way we ended and said I could call him anytime if I need any sort of help. We hugged and that's when I wasn't able to control my sadness for it all and I regretfully shed some tears. I said very little, just that I was sorry too and I wished him good luck. I don't know if he will interpret my tears as me still wanting him. They were not, and I know we are not right for each other. I was just very saddened by the experience of our separation, the loss of love and friendship. I think that breakups must be one of the saddest experiences we all go through in life.

I am starting to feel more at ease and relaxed now knowing that I can really move on without any need for further contact. We can both do this as we have grown so far apart from how we once felt about each other. I realize however, that I need more time for myself and do not want another relationship for now. I thought I was ready to move on but I see now that I'm not ready for serious love again, partly because the hurt from the loss of a close relationship is still very recent. Things are final now, and that is how it must be. I'm ready to move on with my life:) I will feel better soon I'm sure, but I'm gonna definitely take time for myself for a while!