what do you think about this letter

suhbliem

Hello All,

Just a bit of background - This letter is to my best friend from highschool, we haven't spoken in years because of my selfishness. Last time I saw her I kicked her out of my apartment. That was about 10 years ago. Our closeness at the peak of our friendship is a connection I have not felt since then. romantic or platonic.

I would like your input on this letter and your general impresson. Should I even send it. Perhaps I should just leave the poor girl alone.

"I hope this message finds you well. I think of you from time to time wondering how you are and where life has led you. I was going through some old shoe boxes and came across a photo of us from high school. I started crying thinking about how profound our friendship was. You are the best friend I ever had.

My selfishness destroyed our friendship. I am so sorry. You deserved a best friend that was as nurturing to you as you were to me and I failed miserably. There are so many things that I regret. I regret not being there when you needed me as a friend, I regret not respecting you enough the control myself.

I understand if you don't want to hear from me. I don't think there's anyone on this Earth that would disagree with you. I also think there is no one else that shared the connection that we used to have. It was uniquely us. I think about when I kicked you out of my apartment the last time I saw you and how foolish and arrogant I was. What a ridiculous way to end. These are things that I can't take back but I have learned a tremendous amount since then. You will always be in my thoughts, the standard that I judge all other friendships to.

The sadness I brought to your life is something I will never forgive myself for. We could have taken over the world had I only reciprocated the love and respect you showed me."

I think it's perfect. You've taken full responsibility for your actions and haven't asked anything of her in return.

She may not respond, but it may give her some peace.

I think it's perfect. You've taken full responsibility for your actions and haven't asked anything of her in return.

She may not respond, but it may give her some peace.

Possibly send a first, much shorter letter asking her permission to make the amends (in the second letter, the one you posted here). If you send this letter without permisson it is selfish and only serves to make YOU feel better.

You have been pinning this up for 10 years? You need to move on man. I mean that with all due respect. I am sure you care about her deeply, but is there really any hope? If anything, send the message as closure for your new self in 2019. This year become your own best friend. I know you can do it. Just say what needs to be said and move on my friend. You will only regret what you do not say. You will not regret speaking your heart. But 10 years is a long time and I am sure she has moved on in all ways.

Best of luck.

It's been a decade. You should have moved on a long time ago. Consider nixing the letter and resolving this with a counselor or a therapist.

• 3 months later...
  • Author

just a update to this. I did end up sending her that message on fb. She was so happy to hear from me. We ended up hanging out a bunch last week when she was in town. Had a great time, like we never missed a beat. Lesson here is - don't let petty things get between you and the important people in your life.

• Like 2