Have you ever reconnected with someone you dated briefly?

Free2be89

I dated a great guy 5 months ago for about a month, we truly had a great connection, but parted ways due to the timing being wrong and basically life circumstances getting in the way. I'm thinking of reaching out again now that some time has passed and I've done some reflecting.

I just want to know from all you lovely people what's your experience with reaching back out to someone you've dated briefly. Basically I'm not sure how to approach this, or even what to say to him when I do. lol I'm curious to know from everyone that's experienced this:

How long did you date?

Why did you break up/end it?

How did you/they reach out again?

What happened when you did?

Haven't done this personally, but a friend has. She briefly dated a guy through OLD. She was multi-dating and ended up choosing someone else. When that didn't work out a few months later she got back in touch with the first guy. They're now married, bought a house together, and expecting their first child in a few weeks.

• Like 3
  • Author
Haven't done this personally, but a friend has. She briefly dated a guy through OLD. She was multi-dating and ended up choosing someone else. When that didn't work out a few months later she got back in touch with the first guy. They're now married, bought a house together, and expecting their first child in a few weeks.

I keep hearing/reading stories like this one that end very similar ways. haha That's great. Congrats to them both:)

Oh, I just remembered another one. I have a friend who dated a girl at school. Not particularly brief (I think for a couple of years). I met him when he started university. They had very pragmatically decided that university was a time to experience new things and date other people, so they split up amicably. Several years later they got back together, married, and had a child.

• Like 1

Something pretty odd happened to me a few weeks back. A girl who I was dating for maybe 3 weeks ended things and then about 5 months later started texting me out of nowhere. I didn't respond.

I never really knew why she just disappeared after the 4th date or whatever it was. She said something along the lines that she felt she needed to make a decision before we got further invested. It definitely was odd because the dates had been going well.

I'm totally used to getting breadcrumbs after a failed LTR but I've never really been dumped a month into the dating stage so it was a different experience for me. I found the fact she kept messaging me several months after pretty strange. I kind of feel like if someone dumps early, they don't have much guilt and a friendship never really developed so what's the point of even trying to reconnect.

The older you get, the crazier it gets :)

• Like 2

I did it.

I met some guy one summer & we dated briefly while we were both doing summer share houses. Once summer was over & we weren't living near each other we drifted apart.

A few years later we bumped into each other in a bar. I had gotten a new job that put me near that bar & thus closer to where he lived.

We dated some more but there was always something missing for me. he was a great guy. He really wanted to married & have kids. He came from a large family & was the only sibling who hadn't settled down. I just never say me, him & happily ever after.

• Like 2
Michelle ma Belle

I've done it. It was with someone I dated as a teenager and then met up again as adults through mutual friends. For a nano second, it felt like 'destiny' that we'd meet and end up together again after all these years. It didn't take long to be reminded of why we ended things in the first place, even these many years later. Some people never grow up :p

• Like 2

Sounds interesting but never have actually reconnected into a dating experience mainly because women are rarely single for long in my demographic so it would be years down the road after divorces that such kismet might occur and we'd not only be two very different people but, again, the chances of both being single at the same time were exceedingly remote.

I think there was only one time I reached out and that was some 14-15 years after and, while she did answer, actually called me up, she was with the guy she's still with today, not married but living together. Good guy, went to school with his brother. I think she called me because they were going through a rough patch and I was like a good distraction/competitor to get what she wanted, and yup she did. Women are smart like that. Anyway, nothing came of it in the end.

• Like 1
  • Author

These are all so interesting! haha So I guess my next question would be, what do you think is the best way to reconnect without seeming creepy?...a text, phone call? Any suggestions on what to say?

• Author

A little update: So I contacted my former fling and he was actually really jazzed to hear from me. We exchanged a few easygoing casual messages, and he’s asked me to catch up over lunch on Friday. I’m not putting any expectations on it, I’ll just see how it goes.

A little update: So I contacted my former fling and he was actually really jazzed to hear from me. We exchanged a few easygoing casual messages, and he’s asked me to catch up over lunch on Friday. I’m not putting any expectations on it, I’ll just see how it goes.

That was best case scenario for sure. It could have gone 99 other ways and most of those could have been a little ugly :)

• Like 2

wow so nice.

I am happy for you OP.

It is really nice to hear these stories, because it makes you think about not every really knowing what is going to happen in our lives.

• Like 1