mess after breadcrumb

Ah **** this. He was having a rough time three weeks ago, and he told me he was almost crying and that he missed me (he is going through a rough time at work). My real reaction came only two days later: I broke down and told him (by email) not to say those kinds of things, that I had been doing perfectly well but that this just opened up a wound that I thought was healing pretty well. And that I could not be friends in this way, that he crossed the line.

Up until he said that, being friends with him was going fine. I did not feel anything on the few occassions that we saw each other. I was moving on, letting go. I mean, I even talked to him about the casual relationship I was building with a friend and how I was enjoying the single life (not to make him jealous, just... as friends. I know that sounds weird but it was the case. If I had wanted him back then I would not have told him that, I think).

Him saying he missed me tore the wound open. And I know it was a breadcrumb. He was having a hard time and needed support, and I used to be the go-to support system when we were together. I haven't contacted him or responded to his email since.

Now I want him back. I have been working on myself and my life and am doing great. I feel like we deserve a second chance. He's in the middle east for a month now. It will be nine months since we broke up. It was a gigs sort of breakup, we were together for six years (we're both in our twenties), him thinking there was greener grass somewhere.

I'm not sure what I'm asking. I just wanted to write this down. I feel frustrated.

**** this, I hadn't cried for months.

EmbeddedCortex

You shouldn't remain friends with him. Didn't he dump you out of his life and break your heart? You have no obligation to him anymore. And he's keeping you as a friend for his OWN benefit and to ease his guilt and to use you.

I feel like I'm going through the same thing right now, see my post here and the first post in the thread.

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/breaking-up-reconciliation-coping/coping/486269-she-misses-me-loves-me-but-seeing-someone-else-2.html#post5821629

So I know how you feel.