Screwed up, tried to fix it, now sulking and being lonely and depressed

AbsolutJake

I had dated this girl for about a year and a half or longer. I made a lot of mistakes along the way, such as not thinking she was the one and taking a "break" from our relationship, which basically lasted for about a week or 2 at most and then wed get back together. This happened a few times, till the last time when i decided we really did need a break. I then thought i liked a friend of mine, for about 2 weeks is all, but nothing ever stemmed from it and i realized that my love for the past year and a half or so was what i really wanted. I have spent the last 2 and a half months trying to mend things back together. I however only made many failed attempts and when I was coming home for her birthday a week ago she informed me she liked somebody else and that she cant promise we will ever get back together. This guy definately doesnt have what she wants, but is something for her thats new right now. Shes 21 hes 28 with a kid and has a crummy job. She admitted he really isnt what she wants long term so I dont fear they will be together very long however she has lately been extremely rude and mean to me. The other day we hung out for about an hour and she was nice to me and said she missed me and hugged me and kissed me on the cheek. I thought things were good, but then i called her 3 days ago and she was with a friend of hers who has a total negative effect on her and she was a total bitch to me again. HELP!!!!!

I'm kind of understand what your girlfriend has in her mind. It sounds like you didn't give her any security in your relationship during the past one and a half year. Everyone (especially girl) needs to feel secured in a relationship. Your up-and-down really discredits you in both hers and her friend's eyes. I, personally, think that the only thing you can do is to prove yourself and your love to her. You have to make her feel your love and know that you're devoted to her. This can be done in many ways (e.g. call her more often, write her a really good love letter explaining everythings on your mind, stop taking a brake as you used to, etc.) and I'm sure you can do one or more of them. It seems like you still have time to do this as she still doesn't find someone else who really is her dream-guy. As for her friend's attitude about you, I believe that if you treat your gf better and make her really happy, her friend will notice the improvement and change her opinion about you at last. No one wants to see her friend suffered in a relationship. Let's say...it's time for you to start planning what you can do to make it up to her and prove your love for her. I wish you all the best.

• 2 years later...

Dude im going the same way. My girlfreind and I dated for a year and it was (what I beleved)going gereat then I texed her 3 days before Christmas and she told me she was seeing someone else. This was the 3rd time in 2 years I got thrown out on my ass. I feel your pain and im hear 4 you man.