to give up or not to give up

Hello everyone. So for some background info...its been a little over a year since my ex and I broke up. While we dated he seemed to really have been into me and used to tell me how he loved me and had never said those words to anyone before and because of this i must be someone special. And then we got into a fight since we had been having little arguements how he never had time for me. So finally he put an end to the relationship. He said he thought it was for the best, that he still wanted to go out and do things with me and that maybe in the future we could have a second shot. Well in a whole year we have never done a single thing together and a few times when we did make plans he blew me off and said hes afraid he would make a move. Hes also told me how at times he could kick himself for letting me go but yet he does NOTHING about it. so last night we were talking and was wondering what u all think of it.

him: i spent my whole day on the internet because i have no life and am bored,

me: well you say u have no life but yet you refuse to hang out with your totally awesome friend ******** (me)

him: fine what do you want to do for dinner

me: well tonight i cant bc i have alotta stuff to do for work but im free the rest of the week except friday.

him: Oh well i was just gunna grab a quick bite. im free everyday except tmrw and friday

me: well i know how you are about hanging out so you know my number should you decide u want to hang out.

him: ok well ill talk to u a little later im gunna run out and get my food

me: ok

him: and stop at blockbuster for a movie

he comes back in about half hour

him: so any boys chasing you lately

me:ummmmm...i guess i would say so

him: who is this i guess i would say so?

me: its funny because its always the ones you dont want chasing you

him: why?

me: well its like this ive been on some dates here and there but havent quite found what im looking for yet

him: oh i see

me:do u think u know what love is?

him: no

me: thats interesting

him: well i dont know ive had strong feelings for different people but whos to say its love

me: well when we were dating you used to say certain things to me and it always amazed me how you could just turn off your so called strong feelings as if they never were, but i guess everyone is different.

him: ya

and then that was it

i dont understand why he would provoke such a conversation??? this guy and i work together and all he does when we work together is stare at me and im just frustrated with the whole situation nd trying to figure him out. A friend tells me she thinks he still cares about me but is too intimadated by me, but i dont agree.

should i just count my losses and give up on him?