ex bf behavior odd

at the end of this month it will be 3 months since my ex bf dumped me....we had a great relationship and we were nuts about eachother....but towards the end he was distant and bc of his busy schedule we argued alot over me having a problem with his busy schedule...he always used to make comments that i was the best and that i would probably see what a sucky bf he is and dump him...i guess you can say he was a little down on himself bc he always would say that..anyhow, to my surprise he dumped me, citing thathe still liked me but that the timing is all bad and that he just doesnt have the time for me but he hopes that in the future we could be together and he felt that we should break up as to not ruin any chance for us in the future..i was devastated

anyway, its almost 3 mnths and i dont know what to make of him...he goes through phases of always iming me and smiling and saying hi to me at work, to other times acting almost as if hes mad at me-like if he sees me at work he has this funny look on his face and acts distant and cold

also many co workers tell me that he stares at me but when he sees me start to turn my head he instantly looks away...i too have caught him do that

what does this all mean, like why does he get so funny, especially since we agreed on being friends, i dont understand???