ex boyfriend sending mix signals! thoughts?

Ok so the best way to start this story is to start from the beginning. Me and Joseph have known eachother since we were little. We hung out a couple times when we were younger because our mothers were friends. We never really actually became friends though until he came over with his family for a birthday party at my moms. I had my boyfriend of the time, richard, with me but richard and I had been having problems at the time. me and richard had been together for almost two years at the time. Anyways to make that part of the story shorter after that night i eventually broke things off with richard so that i could be with joseph because he was so nice. He is 2 years younger than me, that will come into play a little later in the story. So we had been together since last october and during the winter we had had some hard times because of richard and i made some stupid mistakes but we got past them and had an amazing life. for his birthday in june i bought us tickets to go to universal and islands of adventure and he was so happy. we knew everything was going to be short lived because I am moving in 2 weeks 90 miles north because of a job oppurtunity while he will still be here finishing up his last 2 years of school. I will be able to come home on the weekends and see him. So in the middle of June he went away to a trip to new york for a family friends birthday. Before he left we had bought a calling card so that the bills didnt get bad and the first night he was there we had called me and talked to me for a while. The next day i left to go with some friends from high school to the keys and during the time down there he never really wanted to talk. he would say he was tired and everything. i got back home before him so the day he got back i immediatly went to his house and we watched a couple movies and then i finally asked him what was seriously wrong and thats when he told me he had started to feel differently about me. Now joseph is extremely easy to read so i had never truley believed this story but he said i was his best friend and he still wanted to hang out. Having him in my life as a friend was easier than not at all so i continued to see him, up until the beginning of july when i went in his email because i needed to get something i asked him to save for me before and found a bunch of emails from a family friend in new york that i knew he had seen when he went up there. So already confused about our real reason for breaking up, (his family and friends and everyone else i talk to all think he is just scared about me moving and how we will work out since i had left my previous boyfriend for him and he is younger so he thinks ill leave him for someone older) i read the email. i freaked out for some reason just because he had been hiding it from me and then about a week after that he said he didnt want to be my friend anymore either. he still trys to find out what men i am talking to and gets jealous about richard when he hears that i saw him, (richard and i currently work at the same office) and i just gave joseph his stuff back sunday and i could tell he was lieing to me about why we broke up then. he said we will see in a couple of months what happens and everything. do you think he could just be doing this because he is scared or do you believe he actually doesnt love me anymore? before we broke up everything was perfect and the day he left he held me and was so happy he could see me before he left (i took off work that day) i have always been able to read joseph good and tell what he is thinking and i just truley dont believe he is really over me, i think he just doesnt trust me from the whole past with richard and wants to see how i act once i am in a different city to see if i would find someone else so he broke up with me to protect his feelings. what are your thoughts? thanks in advanced!