ex-BF behavior

I'm continuing to have problems with my ex in the sense that his behaviors and his words are very incongruent. We've been broken up for 2 years, after a 1.5 year relationship. We were "first loves" and all... We are in fairly constant contact with each other and we get together every so often to hang out. (he's still single and I'm still single) He's said repeatedly that we are "just friends" and he tells me that I am a very good friend.

However, when we hang out, he acts like a boyfriend. He puts his arm around me, puts his head on my shoulder, holds my hand, plays with my hair... He's very touchy feely when we are in public AND around people that we know. I always have to tell him to "stop!" One time, he even put his arm around me and said, "you know why guys do this? To show other guys that SHE's MINE." I'm very confused... I'm not sure if this means he wants to get back together but he's afraid to admit it, or if he's just craving the physical contact, or what. I'm also too nervous to ask him if he actually wants to get back together, because I'm afraid I am going to be really hurt by his answer. I somehow doubt that he wants to get back together, but his actions definitely show that he does!!! can anyone figure out what's going on??

He's just trying to make sure you're on his hook, when and if he wants you later.

This is another reason to not stay friends with an ex. At least until you are over him/her 100%.