How can they just do a 180?

missdeathwish

missdeathwish

My ex is bipolar. Things were going great. We were only together a short while, but it was great. He was telling me about his family, talking about wanting to travel together, introducing me to his friends.

He told me right from the start that he dated with the intention of finding someone to marry, that I was the first person he'd thought about dating since he broke up with his exwife. He was all about the "I'm a commitment whore" and stuff. In essence, he was totally into me, after me, etc.

But that all changed. He came to spend the weekend with me (before, we only got to see each other once a week and talked on the phone every day). He was a little bit weird. Then he just stopped calling me. I called him and he was a little bit aloof. I asked him if he needed a break and he told me that he'd just been drunk.

At this point, I basically dumped him. But I regret it. I emailed him and told him so, he said he hoped we could still be friends and see what happened. He'd proceed more cautiously now.

I emailed and said that I didn't want just friendship.

I just don't understand how someone could lie to another person like that... go from marriage minded to "you don't really exist" to "let's be friends."

I really thought that this guy was the one. Is it his bipolar? I feel like I only broke up with him because I was getting pressure from my friends. IT seemed like the "right" thing to do. But it feels so wrong.

Any advice?