Gifts From Ex

MeadowFlower

MeadowFlower

Who here throws away gifts (not expensive), letters, or things the ex made and gave to you? If you do, are you regretful later on?

I have them in a box in my wardrobe currently.

There's always fire to burn them.... Or crush the gift with a sledge hammer......

Edited by MeadowFlower

I have.

I threw away all gifts from my last relationship. I originally intended not to but after a few weeks, decided it was best for me. I couldn't stand having any of it in the house with me. It hurt. So, I boxed it and threw it into the trash bin about a month and a half after me and her ended. It was my way of affirming to myself it was over. The only thing I regret is I should have donated the clothes. Other than that, I didn't regret a damn thing because in the end, she left me for her ex and married the guy.

Edited by Beachead

Some stuff I kept, other stuff which I found disingenuous I threw out with no regrets. Liberating, in fact. The stuff I kept has no sentimental value to me anymore.

If the gift was practical, I kept it. If it was a dud present or strictly emotional, I tossed it.

bathtub-row

For the things I valued, I hid them away until they no longer triggered emotions in me. But, eventually, I got rid of most of them. No regrets.

I box everything up & stick it in the closet for at least year. Then I go through & cherry pick what I want to keep, especially the expensive stuff but most of the rest I discard. I have regretted disposing of some stuff that belonged to my parents but that regret comes from delegating the responsibility to others at a time when I was not functioning. Otherwise I have not regretted the decision but I'm not overly sentimental.

I boxed things up and hid them away for a few years then I figured why was I keeping them, so I had a bonfire and it was great. As someone has done it was liberating. No regrets about it.

If they make you feel good and remember happy times, keep them. If they make you sad, get rid of them.

• Like 1

I had a T-shirt of his I used to love- it was so soft to sleep in. But afterwards I couldn’t stand the sight of it. So I put it in with the kitty litter when I cleaned the cat box. Petty, but I felt better. I’ve got other shirts.

keep photos, they are good as a keepsake and bring back memories

• Like 1
keep photos, they are good as a keepsake and bring back memories

Yes, I keep photos too.