Loss of a Parent

Mr Scorpio

I have plenty of experience w/ breakup coping and NC and all that comes with it. I've been thru the longing, the second chance, and the second break-up. Sadly I've also got plenty of experience with the loss of a parent. And now I have more.

My father passed away sometime in the early morning hours yesterday. I found him while making (what I thought) would be a quick visit. His passing was not shocking as his general health was poor. But there were no indications anything in particular was amiss.

Fortunately I have good friends and family close by who will be able to offer me support. Unfortunately I have no siblings or partner. I am very much adrift and a few months away from 40.

For right now I'm still numb and in shock. Don't think I slept at all last night. Haven't eaten since yesterday morning (I need to get on that).

To those of you who are hurting from the loss of a romantic partner, please take a moment to appreciate your friends, your family, and your parents. Listen to the cliches: if you love someone tell them you do. Also, remember that life is short. It is fine to be in pain from a broken relationship. But remember that time is not guaranteed. Don't miss out on life.

Thank you for reading.

• Like 2

Mr. Scorpio

I am so sorry about the death of your beloved father. Please accept my condolences.

Both of my parents passed when I was in my early 40s. As an only child without children of my own I understand your sense of loss. I felt very adrift, like my anchor to the world was gone & I didn't know where I fit. I still hate the holidays, especially Christmas.

You will find your way but it may take time. Lean on friends & extended family as you move forward. My friends got me through. Work helped me remember where & how I fit in the world. Their deaths also turned me back to Church which was my greatest source of strength, comfort & belonging.

I wish you peace.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

I am your exact age and my parents passing away is something I fear the most. I commend you on your strength and am very sorry that you are in this position.

I think it's much harder for us that don't have a partner or children. My parents are my anchors and my only sense of stability. I have recently left a great job to move to the same town as my parents because I realized they won't be around for ever. They were both on the brink of death few years back and are in poor health. While I dislike my new job, I have never for a second regretted my decision.

Hope you eat something and get some rest.

• Like 1

I'm very sorry for your loss and I'm sorry you were the one to discover him unexpectedly.

I'm 54, divorced and don't have children and I'm very blessed to still have my mother. We lost my father 3 years ago and I feel his loss every day.

Let your friends and family give the support and love you need right now and let your happy memories of your father give you comfort.