Is the loss of a grandchild just as bad as losing a child?

TheDingo

Not in my family but my manager's friend is undergoing that situation. Let's referred the friend was Jeff.

Jeff (the friend) and his wife lost their only 18 year-old granddaughter in an auto accident last year. The girl was their son's (he's an only child as well too) only daughter. Jeff's son sometimes thinks about not living anymore and his daughter-in-law has been on anti-depressants.

amaysngrace

My brother died at 18 in an accident. My grandmother had a heart attack like a day later so yea. Definitely.

Death is hard on the survivors no matter who dies. When the deceased is young & the death appears senseless it's even harder. Everyone processes differently

• Like 1

A grandchild is an extension of your child. On top of your own personal loss you would grieve for what your child has lost, for their pain.

• Like 2
GorillaTheater
A grandchild is an extension of your child. On top of your own personal loss you would grieve for what your child has lost, for their pain.

I think that would be exactly right. I know I would be utterly devastated, on both counts.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
oceanblue12

I think that any loss is terribly difficult for most people. You experience a LOSS because someone meant a great deal to you