Break NC to save money?

Gottabestrong

Gottabestrong

My PC crashed last week and now I need to get a new computer. I realized that buying all the necessary software is going to cost me about 400 dollars.

I asked around but no-one among my friends or family has what I need. The one person I know who has it for sure is my ex, who is a software engineer and usually has software before it hits the general market.

He broke up with me 10 months ago and I have been doing NC successfully for over 4 months now. He has sent me a few messages since then, but I managed to ignore them all. The breakup was amicable but I decided I needed the distance to get over him.

Now I am wondering if I should ask him to lend me the software I need. I would expect him to have no problem with it. But on the other hand I am not sure I am able to face him and if seeing him would cause a relapse. Right now I am doing quite well and have been happy for some time now.

So am I making a mistake if I break NC to save a few hundred dollars? Did I mention that I am a poor student?

dreaming4ever

Is there any way you could get the software without seeing him? Like send him an email about it and ask him to drop it in your mailbox or something? That might work...I just broke up with my bf of 2 years and I'm going to text message him so that I can get all my stuff back from his house and I'm going to get him to bring it to my house when I'm at work....something like that might be good for you since you said you're doing so well right now.

• Author
Gottabestrong
Originally posted by loony

What kind of software do you need?

Antivirus, Firewall, anti-adware, MS Office, Money, Flash, Dreamweaver, ... the usual I guess.

I was thinking about asking him to post it to me, so I would not have to see him in person, or to pick it up at his place when he is not there, but I am not sure he would agree. As he does not live far away from me, mailing it or sending it via a joint friend would be an inconvenience.

I guess if I decide to actually contact him about it, I might as well pick it up from him in person.

gottobestrong,

Think of it this way.....it will either cost you a couple of hundred dollars to buy your software somewhere else or it will cost you that much money and more in a therapist and most of all lots of wasted time thinking about him if you choose to contact him.

You know the answer and you know the real reason you are even toying with the idea. Let it go, as hard as it is, and go out and buy the software! You will be proud of yourself that you did.

Originally posted by Gottabestrong

Antivirus, Firewall, anti-adware, MS Office, Money, Flash, Dreamweaver, ... the usual I guess.

I was thinking about asking him to post it to me, so I would not have to see him in person, or to pick it up at his place when he is not there, but I am not sure he would agree. As he does not live far away from me, mailing it or sending it via a joint friend would be an inconvenience.

I guess if I decide to actually contact him about it, I might as well pick it up from him in person.

There are a lot of programs for free. My antivirus, firewall and anti-adware are free and it's working well. I have the Office package, but also another office software for free that allows you to create Word-documents (the compatibility is ok, sometimes there might be some problems with documents that have a lot of formatting though), tables, etc. But as you need so much other stuff, it might be better to ask your ex-boyfriend for the software. I guess, there are some other alternatives for the other programs, too, but the hassle to find them will be probably greater than just asking him.

sweetserendipity

You can get all kinds of reputable "free" types of these software online - I use a lot of them on my new laptop and they were recommended to me by friends in IT who use them themself on their home PCs. There's AVG antivirus, there's Zone Lab firewall, there's lots of good free anti-adware/spyware programs for free download, you can download Open Office (for free) which is almost identical to MS Office (it's also compatible w/ MS Office, Excel, etc). As for Flash and Dreamweaver, don't know about those.

when you buy a new PC a lot of the above will already be on it except for MS Office and Money. When you order the PC ask what software it comes with.

• Author
Gottabestrong
Originally posted by upsetnhurt

gottobestrong,

Think of it this way.....it will either cost you a couple of hundred dollars to buy your software somewhere else or it will cost you that much money and more in a therapist and most of all lots of wasted time thinking about him if you choose to contact him.

You know the answer and you know the real reason you are even toying with the idea. Let it go, as hard as it is, and go out and buy the software! You will be proud of yourself that you did.

Thanks for the peptalk coach! You are right, it is better to spend some money on software than ask him for a favour.

• Author
Gottabestrong
Originally posted by sweetserendipity

You can get all kinds of reputable "free" types of these software online - I use a lot of them on my new laptop and they were recommended to me by friends in IT who use them themself on their home PCs. There's AVG antivirus, there's Zone Lab firewall, there's lots of good free anti-adware/spyware programs for free download, you can download Open Office (for free) which is almost identical to MS Office (it's also compatible w/ MS Office, Excel, etc). As for Flash and Dreamweaver, don't know about those.

Sounds great. Can you tell me where on the Internet to get these programs please?

sweetserendipity

Sounds great. Can you tell me where on the Internet to get these programs please?

Well I don't think we're supposed / allowed to post Links to commerical sites so I suggest you use your favorite search engine, like Google, and search for them yourself: AVG anti-virus, Zonelab / Zonealarm, Open Office, Adaware