What gives you hope?

I must be having a rough couple of days, but it feels like I've been down for years. I am a little over a month post breakup, and I just feel like I've already been through hell. The past month has been nothing but torture, and I don't remember ever feeling this bad in dealing with my breakup the first time. This time just feels final. Like she won't be back again. I have to pick up and go on with my life somehow, but just feel like it's hopeless/worthless. What's the point of bettering myself when I can't share it with her?

I've started to feel suicidal. There's still a part of me that's rational about this, and knows I'm just feeling suicidal because of my breakup. I just want to know when things get better. I am hopeless right now. I'm living, but don't feel alive at all.

To those of you dealing with a breakup, what gives you hope? What makes you believe that things will get better?

I have had so many weird life experiences, that I now have an incredibly strong 'go to" worst experience of all time, so whenever bad things are happening, I can honestly tell myself to get over myself, because it could be much worse!

Another thing that has helped me TREMENDOUSLY is making a habit of doing Gratitude Lists. At first I had to force myself, and come up with seemingly silly (but not really) things to be grateful for. But now they are quite easy and I only do them when I feel very low. By the time I get to 15-20 things, I am laughing at myself for feeling down.

These two things: having a "go to" worst reference, and habit of making Gratitude Lists, have assured me that whenever I feel down, I will feel up again, I just have to walk through the storm/avalanche/hurricane, and keep walking.

That's Hope.

Heatemyheart89

What gives me hope is that I know I will meet someone else , preferably some one more suited.Also planning nice stuff to do helps . I have a night out coming up also a holiday . Quite looking forward to them as a singleton to be honest .

Itspointless

What always gives me hope is that I have been there before and got to a better place in the end. Do not get me wrong though, the lows always last incredibly long with me. Believe in yourself and the force that comes with it. And remember life is like a wave, after a long time of low there must come some high. For now accept you emotions and try to enjoy the small things, like spring flowers, animals that get born within a few weeks, the sun, a smile.

• Like 1
  • Author

I really do need to appreciate the little things more. Outside of my breakup, my life is not horrible. I have a great family, a few good friends, my health, I'm doing well in my classes this semester, and there are probably more things.

I was feeling low a few days ago when I made this thread, but since I saw my ex's Facebook again, and saw her with the guy she left me for. It's made me angry/wanting to be better. Not to stick it to her, but to show myself that my life can go on without her.

• Like 1

What gives me hope? To be honest with you, nothing really. I'm just going to ride this out as far as it goes.