''Remember people have it worse off than you!'' '%&!$#

Butterfly21

Hey head, meet wall! :mad:

Why do people think it is comforting when they remind you that there are starving kids in the world and that you are lucky that it isn't you so you should be happy?! Reminding me that there are starving, dying, ill people in this world does not heal 2 years of abuse in my marriage :( I am so tired of hearing that i could be worse off. Don't people understand that for some people certain situations are worse than others because they never have been worse off? I am very thankful that i am healthy and that i can eat every day, but I feel like im commiting a crime because i feel the way i do and i can't cope. :mad:

Oh I was thinking about this earlier this week.

I know the feeling! We all know there are worst people off in the world, probably not too far from where you're sitting too.

Of course you can empathise with them 90% of the time but as callous as it sounds, you need to put yourself first in these situations. People who say those sort of things think they're doing well, but we both know it doesn't help!

Still, when you see it for yourself it can ground you. I was in a cemetery yesterday looking at tombstones for men and women that died in WWII. Most of them were younger than me- and I'm only 23! That gave me some perspective for a bit.

Thinking "I don't want to hear this stuff!" doesn't make you a bad person though. :)

I try to think about other peoples problems that are much larger than mice. The logic makes sense but when as an individual you have emotions that are controlling YOUR situation, it's hard to steer in "it could be worse" direction. Make sense?

just becuz some people got shot , doesn't mean that getting stabbed doesn't hurt.

to be honest i dont care if other people have gone through worse.

i don't pity myself.

but the pain i feel is real.