Haunted

Aonz

I saw a man die today.

I was driving home on the motorway (highway), when my Dad says “what’s he doing?” and as I look up and there’s a man climbing over the fence on the bridge in front of us and without any hesitation the guy just jumped off.

I see him falling through the air for what seemed like an eternity but in reality couldn’t have been any more than a few seconds and then I saw him hit the ground.

The first thing I thought is this isn’t real, this can’t be real.

For a split second I thought he was going to land on top of us but he landed on the hard-shoulder just a few metres from the car. I pulled up straight away and my Dad got out and ran over to try and help the guy and I while rang for an ambulance. A passing police car also stopped a few seconds after us and they tried to help him but he had massive head injures and there was nothing anyone could do.

An ambulance arrived soon after accompanied by about five police cars. Two police vans also arrived on the bridge above. The entire junction was shut down while they investigated what exactly had happened.

I’ve never even seen a dead body before and in that moment I actually saw someone die. I still can’t believe it actually happened it seems so unreal.

I feel so sorry for him, to die there like that and for his family whose suffering I can’t even imagine. I just wish I could have done something I wish I could have reasoned with him but he just didn’t give us the chance.

He wasn’t very old roughly mid 20s; my Dad said he saw him put a bag down on the bridge before he jumped. I guess his reasons may be in that bag but I don’t think we’ll ever know why he did it. I don’t even know his name.

Every time I shut my eyes I see him falling. These images in my mind aren’t ever going to go away are they?

well, that certainly is a traumatic experience, and I am sorry that you had to endure that. Incidentally, how old are you? At any age this would be difficult to deal with, but if it becomes unbearable, I recommend that you seek professional help to get you through the worst parts.

In the meantime, acknowledge that this was a traumatic experience, but dont let it affect your day to day life in a negative way...be strong

Try to think of this as a raindrop falling into a big bucket of water...dissolving into the realm of all of the experiences of your life......

and in the meantime, pray for him

Paulie

if you still arent able to get past this traumatic experience i suggest you seek a counselour to help cope with these emotions

Aonz -

How horrible for you!

Thank God he didn't hit your car and take you and your Dad with him!

It sounds nuts, but actually a person can get Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder from an event like this, even though it took place during a fairly short period of time. If you find that you have recurring nightmares or flashbacks for some time, do see a counsellor for help.

• Author

I’ve not had any nightmares as yet but I don’t really remember my dreams anyway, but I can still see it happening in my mind. I can see him falling but for some reason I don’t see him hit the ground I just see him fall. I remember seeing him climb over the fence and I knew at the time what he was going to do but for I didn’t think he would actually do it.

It’s hard to explain it’s almost like a slide show of coloured pictures flashing across my mind’s eye.

Does anyone believe in fate? Was I meant to see this for some reason?

I think this has changed me I truly know now how fragile we all are how easily we can die.

At 12:24pm GMT that man was alive and 30secs later he was dead, just like that in the blink of eye he was gone forever.

I had to drive on the motorway again today under the same bridge and I saw a figure standing in the same spot from which he jumped. For a spilt second I thought it was happening again but as I got closer I could see it was just a man placing some flowers on the railings.

I gave a formal statement at the police station yesterday and they told me they still don’t know who is. He had no ID, no wallet, no nothing and the bag he left on the bridge was empty he didn't even leave a note. Unless they can identify him using figure prints or dental records we might never know who he is (was).

How awful. Sorry you had to witness the death of a fellow human being. The end of a young man's life, how tragic! Who knows why you and your father had to be the ones to see this. Perhaps fate/God/whatever might be out there allowed for your eyes to witness this because you would gain some kind of insight into your own life. The fact that you have now shared this experience with a large group of others could be an indication that you are the messenger of some meaningful lessons. Just from reading your post, I instantly was reminded of my own mortality and that of everyone I love. I also realized that there are certain things I need to set right in my life, just in case life is cut short for myself or any one of those I care for. Thanks, Aonz, for sharing this. Please make sure you take care of yourself following this trauma.

Laura

• Author

Thank you Laura for your kind words :)

and i want to thank the rest of you aswell you restore my faith in humanity.

This whole thing just reminds me of the consequences of our actions and the irreversibility of time.