Yearly anniversary bringing back horrible feelings.

Today is the day my ex cheated on me. I graduated from college two days later.It's been a year now. My graduation was completely ruined by his antics. I tried my best to put on a strong face but the day was definitely marred, as one can clearly see from the pictures of the day. It's one of the hardest things to look back on. It was supposed to be this big happy day, and signify me going off into the world, shared with my closest family and friends. Instead it was slightly embarrassing and the beginning of this huge downward spiral that I am just now getting out of a year later.

It's very disheartening to see what place I am in now and how much I have let it effect my life. I wouldn't have the dates in my head so much if it hadn't happened at a Cinco de Mayo party and two days before my graduation. I feel like my hearts been ripped out of my chest again because of the whole time reference and where im at now in life. I'm also just in disbelief that someone could do that to me after 4 years, having a more removed perspective makes it almost a new different type of anger.

After reading all the stories on LS I can see that many people treat each other cr*ppy I just never thought I would be caught up in such a horrible thing. I feel very alienated by my own life and life's story now and aside from pretending it never happened I don't know how to reconcile with that.

Had to get this off my chest, thanks for reading.

giuliano-3

My anniversary was four days ago, I feel your pain. It was my first and I wondered if it might become a day which forever lives in infamy. Bummer, man.

That guy picked a rotten time for you, obviously not caring about the ramifications. A very baggish move.

I'm pretty sure Yoda would say something like "Fours years of suffering this man is worth not."

iamenough

i can relate. will be a year (since being cheated on) on the 7th, which also happens to be my f'n birthday. totally get the upset.. talk about "bad timing"

... i'm still up and down.... angry too. it'll get better. it better get better!

:( I hope you get better.

My graduation will be this year. I'm scared that I won't enjoy it because I will still be missing my ex. It's going to have extra significance for me because I took extra subjects over last 2 years ever since beginning to date her. I did that to get my degree done a year early and so that I could impress her family so that they would allow us to date/accept me.

I've got a job lined up for next year (happened after the breakup) where I work as a law clerk and should finish my degree at the end of this year. I just wish she could share it with me. Instead, she broke up with me because she didn't feel like her family would ever think I am good enough. I do hope that I can put on a strong face that day... it was always supposed to be 'our day'. :(

• Author

Thanks for the posts! I definitely wish that it wasn't so close to such a significant day. I can't wait until I have more memories to push this one to the back! Yesterday was really hard just having that glaring example of where im at exactly a year later. I suppose im making the same mistake I made in trying to get over this relationship which was focusing on what 'should be' and not 'what is'.

• Author
:( I hope you get better.

My graduation will be this year. I'm scared that I won't enjoy it because I will still be missing my ex. It's going to have extra significance for me because I took extra subjects over last 2 years ever since beginning to date her. I did that to get my degree done a year early and so that I could impress her family so that they would allow us to date/accept me.

I've got a job lined up for next year (happened after the breakup) where I work as a law clerk and should finish my degree at the end of this year. I just wish she could share it with me. Instead, she broke up with me because she didn't feel like her family would ever think I am good enough. I do hope that I can put on a strong face that day... it was always supposed to be 'our day'. :(

That is exactly how I felt. I had strained so hard the last few semesters and it took such a toll on the relationship that I felt the graduation was our time to finally relax and celebrate a shared victory. The relationship died just short of that. I wish I had a chance to see how things were once the stress died down, but there just wasn't enough patience there by that time. Really sad to miss out on something you feel you should be celebrating together since they were there with you the whole time.