Sold my wedding dress.... 1.5 years later ... Sad :(

SmileyGirl

Well.... It's been a year and half (almost) since my ex fiancee and I broke up... well he more or less kicked me out of our brand new home... It was an AWFUL NASTY break up and I left and never knew that after 5 years we would never speak again...

I finally sold my wedding dress today and I guess it's just bitter sweet :(

Just one of those days :(

Oh SmileyGirl, I am so sorry. That must be truly heart-wrenching. Despite the pain, isn't it nice to know that someone will love it and walk into their dreams in it, as you planned to? And that someday you will do the same.

I initially wondered why you wouldn't keep it for your eventual day, but that would be just silly. And so the next best thing to you walking into your future with it is someone else who will appreciate it.

Please share more if it will help.

• Author

Thank You for your reply. Yes, it was tremendously difficult but much needed to finally move on from the last few strings.

It's been a year and a half. Absolutely no contact and I feel like an idiot for still missing him!

Have to admit I've still got my wedding ring in a box at the back of a cupboard. Really should get around to selling it. Or throwing it in a river. Or something...

Been there. I was kicked out after being engaged, never got the ring back and she tried to get me fired from my job. Still standing, moving forward. You're not alone, it does get better but everyone needs to heal at their own pace....here's to getting back to being yourself one day at a time.

• Author

Thanks, Dusty!

I guess I just feel awful because I never had any real "closure"... we woke up like any other Sunday and I never knew our 5 year relationship would come tumbling down that day and I would never see or speak to him again.

Our dog (whom he adored) went missing a few months back and despite him blocking me in any way possible I did send him an email to let me know if he heard anything (as our dogs chip was registered to him)... I never got a response. Maybe that just hurt my ego... and my feelings.

It has been over a year and really for the most part I didn't think of him once until recently. Now I think about him all the time.. Why I don't know... my life is about as good as it's ever been...

Cheers to the future! and thanks again for the response :)

Have to admit I've still got my wedding ring in a box at the back of a cupboard. Really should get around to selling it. Or throwing it in a river. Or something...

Throwing it in a river must be a guy thing; I've thought about doing the same many times...

Smileygirl: I remember when I sold my ex-wife's engagement ring (she gave it back to me and kept her band). Was a sad day for me as well. I just hope you got more than 1/6 of its value when you sold your dress :mad: But it was a good move, keeping stuff like that around will delay progress. Good for you!

Still missing him? That sucks, man.

I was only dumped a month ago, and I am wondering what to do with the engagement rings and stuff. Have them in a box at the back of the cupboard, and still don't know what to do.

I hope I don't miss my ex in a year. I either hope he's with me, and we're fine OR I'm healed and don't care whether I hear from him or not. Wishful thinking. I took four years to get over the 6-year relationship I was in before my ex.

Well done on the dress. I'm sorry you still miss him.

Live well! At least you've got one less thing hanging about reminding you of the pain and hurt.