Obsessing Over Ex -> HOW NOT TO

isitreal

Hey, I've been reading a bunch of these articles, because I think in reality, that's what we're all doing/did in this coping forum, pining over something that is unattainable. Anyways, this one really helped me alot and was very concise, it's really easy to Google, but hopefully at least one person reads this and it clicks. Step #2 really helped me out, #3's a good read too.

HOW TO STOP OBSESSING OVER YOUR EX

It's not going to stop by itself. You're going to have to truly want to stop the behavior in order for it to stop. If it seems crazy to you and you feel like you're losing your mind, you have to mentally put the brakes on and restrain yourself.

Now that you've acknowledged that you want to stop obsessing, start realizing that the person you're obsessing about doesn't actually exist. Sounds crazy, but chances are you've over-thought and over-romanticized this person to such an extent that you've elevated them to a god-like status.

Realize that in a sense, you're addicted to this person. You're addicted to thinking about this person - try to figure out what it is this person symbolizes. What needs does obsessing about them fulfill? Perhaps it's a distraction from your real life problems, or you think, "If only so-and-so were here, everything would be perfect." Try to draw yourself out of this spiralized way of thinking, because it will only drag you down even more.

Try to distract yourself. Whenever you catch yourself thinking about this person, or wanting to drive past their house, you may have to literally restrain yourself by doing anything different. Put on your favorite CD, call a friend, do something you enjoy doing. You're going to have to keep repeating this process until the feeling subsides.

• Like 1
brutaldeluxe

Hi Isitreal

Good post, thanks.

Point 2 is especially true in my case and i knew that but it still bothered me - but id never realised it about point 3 too.

Thanks for posting.

BDeluxe.