Taking a break

Hello,

I have been dating and living with someone for about 9 mo. now. We've known each other for longer. Within the last week or so, he found a house in the town where we were living that he wanted to buy. It was to be his first house, and this is something he wanted to do (I would move in as a gf). I overreacted to this news of his buying a house and was not accepting. I didn't take into consideration that this is something he wanted to do.

Steping back from the situation now, I can see it wasn't the idea of a "house" but the fact that I am not sure about my current work situation and living in a house is a 3-4 yr commitment. I wasn't (at the time of the drama) sure that I wanted to be anchored in that town.

During this time there were a lot of tears on my part. He suggested we take a break. That he needed a break to work though things. I am in the process of moving my things (we need to rent the current place and he's moving into the house).

Last time I was there grabbing things he said he needs time to work things out and it wasn't going to be a "couple of days." I love him and want to be with him. Stepping back I beleive I overreacted. I have emotional things to work out on my end as well and don't mind a break as long as I get to be with him in the end.

I said keeping lines of communication open was important-if we were going to fix anything. He said yes, but email was most comfortable for now (Its only been a week). He hardly looked at me the whole time and was near crying. I really just want to spend my life with him, but I don't know if its headed for a break up! Especially since I can't seem to talk to him more for now.

curiousnycgirl

Have you told him you know that your reaction was inappropriate? If not that is the first thing I would put in an email, otherwise how will he know that you are sorry for your behavior?

The next thing I would write, in the email, is that you understand that he is hurt - that you are too - and that you will respect his wishes not to speak at the moment, but that you are always there if/whenhe would like to speak.

Let the rest flow from your heart and let us know how it goes!