What's the worst way to break up with someone or the worst way you've been dumped?

What's the worst way you've been dumped?

Speaking for myself, the only girlfriend I had, dumped me after six months.

She tried to do it in the middle of a pub after we'd had a nice day out together, she uttered the words "I was going to do something today" ... which obviously meant end the relationship.

Things progressed, she wanted to talk. To start again. That's what she said. I went around hers. She didn't talk, it was more like a date night. She made it clear she wanted things to work. The last thing we do in person is share a passionate kiss. I haven't seen her since, and will never see her again.

A week later she backtracks and tells me via WhatsApp we are finished.

I find this a HORRIBLE way to break up with me.

She was a coward and couldn't utter the words in plain English to my face in the pub.

Couldn't talk to me when we were supposed to talk

Then ended things forever via WhatsApp.

What're your tales? Feel free to RANT. It does you good!

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
fixed spacing

I usually dump a girl after 3 to 6 months of dating. I just stop returning her calls/texts/emails or any other forms of communication.

Michelle ma Belle

Thankfully I don't have horror tales to tell regarding break-ups like I read a lot of on here - yikes.

Were some of them painful? Absolutely, especially when love had bloomed.

In almost all cases, we just outgrew one another for one reason or another and someone needed to take a lead and end things amicably and respectfully so we could both go our separate ways.

The most painful breakup that was also a mutual decision was with a partner of 3 years who managed to get sober. As much as we tried to make it work, he needed to be single to focus on his sobriety (it was a long distance relationship). It was extremely painful for the both of us to let each other go but in the end it was both necessary and the best decision.

We are still very good friends to this day he's 3 years sober.

Worst way to break up is text or email.

Worst way I have been broken up with was a LT BF came over. I thought he was going to propose. Whoops -- he dumped me the day before my parents' wedding anniversary. I had to spend the next night plastering a smile on my heartbroken face celebrating their love.

I suppose the worst way I broke up with somebody was I picked a fight on Valentine's Day & it devolved into a screaming match right before we were supposed to meet all our friends for a group date. He went anyway & ruined everybody else's night by making them deal with him being upset.

• Like 1

I would say ghosting someone is the worst way. I actually think texting is the best because then you don't embarrass yourself by crying and breaking down in front of your ex. You have time to gather yourself and make a rational response. I would actually never text someone to break up with them because people get highly offended by it. But I would prefer to be broken up with by text.

• Like 1
I usually dump a girl after 3 to 6 months of dating. I just stop returning her calls/texts/emails or any other forms of communication.

I’d say this is the worst.

Second worse is texting.

• Like 2
CantTakeMySmile

My partner of 3 years said she was going to do laundry, and never came home.

Another partner texted me she loved me and would talk to me in the morning... then ghosted me.

Not good wither way.

• Like 1

1st Girlfriend dumped me via text same day family member

Died, (1 Year 3 months) (April 2008)

2nd Girlfriend dumped me via text saying she wanna be friends (Jan 2009) stayed friends for a bit then went NC she had Bipolar (1 Year 3 months) got back together (2 years) dumped via phone call saying it’s not working out & wanna be friends (Oct 2013)

3rd Girlfriend (7 Months) Came round & said she don’t fancy me romantically anymore & wanna be friends (Last Friday)

Not had good luck with relationships but hopefully will find right girl for me, one day

Stringing them along, giving them a false sense of hope when there isn't any, and then ghosting. But anyone that can go as far as ghosting you really wasn't worth the effort anyway. They're cowards to the last.

Happy Lemming

About 20+ years ago, I had one woman take me on vacation (her treat, she drove), dump me and left me 150-200 miles from home.

I had to take the bus home, it was a long slow 6 hour bus ride home.

I wish I had been ghosted.

To this day, I still get angry when I think about it.

• Like 1

I dumped a bf on new years eve, he asked if I had any new years resolutions, I said "yes, get rid of you", then I left him. That was really nasty, I was only 20 at the time though and I'd never be so callous now.

Worst break up was with my husband, the marriage ended after he assaulted my son and the police took him away.

Ahh Alphamale, you're such a sweety. You win the prize for the worst way to dump someone.

hey I've been dumped too Fmw, sometimes it hurts real bad

sweetgirl75

I think in person is always best but I almost lost my life when I tried to leave an abusive relationship that way. I told him that we were not working out and he put his hands on my throat. I endured thirteen months of abuse and threats on my parents life if I left him so I had no choice but to end the relationship. I should have just texted this maniac. What this girl did to you was sad and cowardly and she lead you on and she should have been honest and upfront with you. I am sorry that happened to you.

Worst way for me was how my decade long relationship ended. We attended the wedding of one of her family members, during which I was completely stonewalled and generally treated like an idiot by the majority of people there. I couldn't understand why, until afterwards when it became apparent that she was cheating on me and everyone else but me knew. I still feel angry about it now, 18 months on.

• Like 1

Jumping off from another thread, the worst way to break up is ghosting. It's too unclear.

Be nice enough to give the other person a clean break.

• Like 2
Happy Lemming
...the worst way to break up is ghosting. It's too unclear.

You know... I did have one woman that was mad at me and didn't return my phone calls for a week or so. I assumed we were broken up, so I went out and found her replacement.

Turns out, she was giving me the "cold shoulder" for a week to "teach me a lesson". I told her she had already been replaced and I'm an adult that didn't need to be "taught a lesson".

I guess if she had just expressed her displeasure with my actions, we could have talked it out. Instead she went silent and I moved on.

Happy Lemming -- exactly. She was one of those silly people who expect their SOs to read their minds. Ridiculous. You were right to replace her.

I was sitting in the jungles of Vietnam going on six months with six more months to go. So far non of the bullets, rockets or mortars have found me. I am one of the lucky few. I am here because my fiancé had the idea that if I joined the military we could afford to get married and get cheap on base housing. She would go to college while I was on active duty. Then when I was discharged I would go to college on the GI Bill for free. Sounded good at the time.

What I did not plan on was that she would get lonely and cheat on me with a friend of mine no less. I found out from my best friend and break off the engagement. So much for the best laid plans of mice and men. However, karma caught up with her. She got hooked on drugs from her new boyfriend, joined a hippie commune where she took so much LSD and magic mushrooms that she develop permeant mental illness and also got pregnant by one of the men she was passed around to. She believes that angels talk to her and even legally changed her last time to one that her angels gave her. She married a guy for financial support for her son and as soon as that was no longer needed divorced him to marry a woman. That could have been me so lucky me.

One other good dump story. My live in girlfriend of a year walked into the living room when my 3 friends were visiting to ask us all if we would like to gang bang her. I knew it was over then and there so I told them to go ahead and I kicked her out the next day. No wonder my 47 year marriage has not been monogamous. My wife and I shared women and couples but loved the same girl who lived with us in a poly triad. My wife was only my third relationship and after monogamy failed twice I gave up on it and our marriage was very good loving the same woman and playing with others a few times.

My longest relationship after many fight and arguments she moved out and I helped her even thought she knew I didn't want her to go. Part of me wanted to make sure she was safe and comfortable. Reason for the breakup ultimately you ask? The UNIVERSE told her out time is up.

The worst way I was dumped was over text and it basically said 'no thank you' in so many words and when I replied, I got no response, and it's now many years later and it still bothers me to think about the callousness of him ignoring me and treating me like I was but a speck of dirt on the ground, not worthy of acknowledgement.

The second worst was being dumped in a foreign country, with that guy then texting me a wk or two later, telling me not to be a stranger, thereby stringing me on for another month or so, with my hopes up, yet he was cold.

At least with that breakup, there was finality. With the worst one, it still hurts, years later, as I feel like I didn't matter at all.

With the one, I knew it was over as it was a build up of on-again off-again nonsense, and it was clear there was nothing more to become of it.

With the other, it's not much better as he was a druggie and lied, and was promiscuous. However, I think the physical chemistry is what keeps me hooked. That, and being left hanging in a way, as he just cut me off via text like it was nothing, and in the weeks that followed, it was extremely difficult. The months and years that followed have been majorly impacted by this situation as I've not coped the best with it. It still hurts as I feel I want/need closure, even though as they say: 'it is closure,' with someone doing that. It doesn't feel closed to me. I can only describe it in that way. It hurts, and I wouldn't wish anyone to be treated this way, ever. I would hope that others would give others the courtesy of a response, to provide further finality... not just close the door and make it so the other person hurts and that hurt lingers on and on.

Sometimes I imagine him texting me or calling or otherwise encountering him after all these years, and me being like 'no thank you,' or just giving a curt response. Yet I know I likely wouldn't do that, because I can't be that cruel. Yet, maybe I could. Maybe I do have it in me after what he put me through with that final text of his.

I was ghosted. The dude did not even have the balls to tell me he wanted to end it.

As far as I am concerned ghosting is the cowards way out. I was left with no answers and hard a hard time moving on.

crispytoast

My gf of 6 years was living across the country. She asked me to come visit, I drove all the way to the west coast to see her. The day I got there, she takes me to a nightclub, breaks up with me, and leaves me there with her friends. It messed with me hard and I got really drunk. Her friends felt bad and brought me back to an after party that her best friend is hosting. Ex shows up, blows up at her best friend and leaves without saying a word with me. I blacked out, woke up naked in her best friends bed and ended up sleeping with her for the next two weeks while I waited for my paycheck to come in so I could drive home. I wish she had just broke up with me over text or ghosted me.

Edited by crispytoast