A break up over a college tour?

lovelifesmile

Basically I have a boyfriend we will be 2 years in July. Recently i got picked to go on a free college tour...Full of excitement to go EXCEPT the trip is 5 days long.. My boyfriend really doesnt like this and is really upset.

We argued and he ended up saying that we should just let one another be and maybe something in the future will work out..The trip is 2 weeks away but i dont even want to go anymore knowing that im losing the love of my life it upsets me that if i do go then we wont be together but what should i do to say that'll make him accept it?:(

I don't know what "college tour" means, but I understand that it involves travel, costs nothing, and will last for five days.

In two years you've never been apart for a period of five days? That's surprising.

To answer your question, you can't make him accept it. He either will accept it or he won't, and that is entirely up to him. Whether you go or not is entirely up to you.

If this involves you going to college in the future, and he doesn't want you to go on this tour as a precursor, then he probably isn't the guy for you. It isn't as if he's made a bona fide offer to pay for your college education at a top-tier university close to home. It doesn't seem that he has your best interests in mind, and that's what love is about - him caring more about you than he does about himself.

• Like 2

Leaving them behind is one of the things you have to prepare for when you go to college.

Go on the tour. Don't let somebody hold you back from your opportunities, because if he does that, then he doesn't really love you. He's more worried about himself.

Does that sound like someone you want to give everything to?

• Like 3
Basically I have a boyfriend we will be 2 years in July. Recently i got picked to go on a free college tour...Full of excitement to go EXCEPT the trip is 5 days long.. My boyfriend really doesnt like this and is really upset.

We argued and he ended up saying that we should just let one another be and maybe something in the future will work out..The trip is 2 weeks away but i dont even want to go anymore knowing that im losing the love of my life it upsets me that if i do go then we wont be together but what should i do to say that'll make him accept it?:(

A person who deserves to be the "love of your life" would not dump you because you're going away for five days.

• Like 3

Sounds like he's either off his rocker or has already been wanting to breakup and is using this as an excuse. Neither of the above is good news.

• Like 3
ExpatInItaly

Yuck, he is controlling and immature for breaking up over this.

But I would bet any money he's been wanting to end this relationship and used this an excuse, so he could blame you.

Go on that tour and start looking at the next exciting phase of your life. This dude shouldn't be part of that.

• Like 4