2 months and I don't want it to end

HappyHour1235

Alright, so I've really known this guy for about 2 years. Technically we met in middle school, saw each other at like 2 parties during high school, and went our separate ways. Then about two years ago we started working together, completely by chance.

We clicked right away and started hanging out a lot. Like every other day. Usually it was in a group of 3, but it wasn't unheard of for us to be alone.

I was smitten from the start, and I was pretty obvious about it. Everybody knew, including him, but he held back because our 3rd friend had feelings for me.

Eventually we couldn't take the tension and sat our other friend down and had The Talk. And he gave his blessing.

We have been dating 2 months almost to the day. The day he asked me out was the best day of my life, and we were both so happy. He was so cute, always texting me about his day, or asking about mine, even sending goodnight texts. (neither of us like talking on the phone).

But tonight he asked me to coffee after work (we both just changed jobs so we don't work together anymore) and said he thinks we should break up.

I was blindsided and immediately asked why. He said things like "he's looking for someone to spend the rest of his life with" and "He feels there hasn't been enough emotional change after the first month." He stills likes me, and he was crying, and my heart physically hurt.

I asked him if there was any hope and he said we could talk about it, so that's what we are going to do tomorrow.

I don't know if he's scared, or doesn't like me, or what... The chemistry is definitely there, we both have a hard time keeping our hands to ourselves, but he seems to think that we are too different. I know we like a lot of the same things and think about things in the same way, but we also have our differences and I thought that was a good thing.

He is worth fighting for, but I know I can't force him to love me. (And I know I love him).

I'm questioning what I did wrong, how I can improve, what do I do?

Any advice?

OP I feel sorry about what you have been through but my only advise is to cut the loses and move on.

He made himself quite clear that he did not feel enough emotionally for a future and he wanted a breakup, for whatever reason. It's cruel but the fact is he does not love you as much as he wants to (or you want him to) and it's not gonna work out.

You did nothing wrong. You just need to leave him alone and date someone else. Good news is that you don't work together any more.

Btw, 2-months dating is hardly true love, it's just flake.

• Author
HappyHour1235

I understand 2 months seems like such a short time, but we are best friends first and foremost. I felt I was going to live in the friendzone forever with him but he finally asked me out and we were happy. I feel like either he led me on (which is totally out of character), or he's not giving 'us' a long enough chance.