Is he reaching out or not..

I see my ex each week at a recreational thing.. We dated oven the summer and broke it off so things wouldn't "get ugly" as he put it.. bc we have mutual friends.. He never had a girlfriend before me and is 34.. so don't think he was ready for a real relationship... Also we had very different personalities.. me very outgoing; him very reserved. He came on very strong and then kind of cooled down once there were difficulties.. but we never fought in person. We've been cordial when we see each other and get along.. and I've gone no contact via texting and calling.. 2 months after breakup, he sends me a text saying "I know you probably don't want to hear from me but I have some of your things..." ..asked of he should drop them off or give them to me next time we see each other. When I asked how he was he said a mess? but didn't elaborate. seems ok.. When I saw him we just joked around a bit.. and he gave me my things.. Is this simple closure stuff or could he be reaching out?

There is no underlying message, secret longing or a desire to reconcile. It's straight forward -- how / where do you want your stuff back?

Sounds like just returning your items. Try your best not to read too much into it. Until you hear the "I made a mistake, I want you back." It is all just breadcrumbs...