Reconciling, It's so good and so hard...

Personally Me

From breaking up from a text quarrel to him coming home to talk, three times now.

One lesson learnt is I will not allow text quarrels to happen again. It's so easy to go wrong and end a relationship to stop the conflict of the moment. I had a chance to prove that last night and it was so rewarding.

We have been trying to feel each other out or where we stand. We both love each other deeply and want to be back living together.

But he is not making any steps towards that, from what I can see. He is telling me why he is not...

He thinks if he came home the night of the text quarrel, I would have thought I WON and treat him worse. I told him that I wouldn't have, but I really don't know because he didn't come home.

He thinks I only show I really love him when I am about to lose him.

In a way he is right, I will fight for us if I feel a threat.

He thinks I don't want a long term relationship. While I have been trying to fill my days, while he is with his children...he has been thinking that I am starting to move towards a single life.

He thinks I am trying to stop him from seeing his children and said he will not apologize for adoring his children and he will always adore his children.

This is the hard part...I do not feel I have ever asked him to make a choice and don't understand why he feels this way. I was a part of his children's lives with him, until his Ex felt the children were getting to close to me. Now, it's as she wants it...he is only allowed to see his children at their place and exclude me. That is the part that hurts!

Now, there is another situation...three days ago the children's main caregiver quit. His Ex works and most times stays close to her work, during the weekdays. He is more available, so even if he wanted to make the move to come home, he can't until they sort out this. I am so scare that the Ex will just expect him to live there and watch the children. She has done many things to interrupt our lives and she tells the children that Daddy doesn't love you and want to take care of you, if he doesn't.

Any advice how to continue this reconciling to move forward and

how to deal with the Ex/children would be so much appreciated.

I am at a loss, I have no been in a situation of reconciling or with a man with small children and an ex trying to break us up.

sdrawkcaB ssA

I don't mean to be harsh on you though what you have is a triangle of conflict of interest with your mate being stuck in the middle.

#1 Until you both can understand each other in communication, never put important issues in messages. You both need to have a sit down on how to communicate better.

#2 His children are #1, so he will always be helping with their needs. Being separated from them makes things difficult your relationship, as their mother will be a concern even if you feel you and him are together.

You will have to learn to be selfless for his children until they are grown enough to be less of a burden on care and needs.

I know how you feel, as it can rob you of time and secure feelings. If you want things to work out, then you must confront your insecurities and put a lot of faith and trust in your mates actions with you.

You can tell him what you feel, but you must tell him you know your insecurities have made you jealous and not so understanding to his children's needs, along with being understanding to him as well. It is a lot to swallow, putting the blame on you, but by doing so you are allowing for reconciliation.

Once you get the message understood and he is willing to accept, you can ask of him to show caring to your needs as well. Showing that you are in his heart and thoughts as well. Not to be any more than his children but honor how much you are willing to sacrifice for his children's well being and time with him.

Yes, it sounds like you are selfish, but in reality you have been left out in the cold a time or two, which builds your insecurity and displeasure. Along with building his expectations of you in accepting how things are. Allowing him to know what affect you in limitation, allows him understand your needs than to rely on expectations of you.

I can't say any issue can be solely blamed on one person. As a relationship requires 50/50 commitment, and understanding. Any time when expectation is used over lack of knowing, the path one takes will veer away from 50/50. Sometimes it gets swept under the rug and allows more expectations to be seeded. The person who sweeps such things under the rug, in hopes things will even out, is also to be blamed.

So, being open and honest with every wee matter will keep things understood between you both. That is critical for any relationship, but most critical for LDR or D with children. He must learn to put you along side his thoughts as if you are their mother as well, so he is not alone in dealing with such matters. I know he probably is keeping Ex out of the picture as much as possible, as to protect you from feeling burdened by dealing with his matters.

I hope some light is given by my reply, as there is hope for your relationship. Just allow trust in him, as he has shown he is fighting for you, not fighting to leave you. Else you would not have had such heated arguments.

One lesson learnt is I will not allow text quarrels to happen again. It's so easy to go wrong and end a relationship to stop the conflict of the moment. I had a chance to prove that last night and it was so rewarding.

Good. Serious and/or emotional discussions have no business in this format. It's quite dangerous because you misunderstand and are misunderstood. You need facial expressions, tone of voice, etc. to accurately hear what someone is saying. Text messages allow too much of your personal lens, which is anger and fear when you are arguing, to interpret what is sent.

He thinks if he came home the night of the text quarrel, I would have thought I WON and treat him worse. I told him that I wouldn't have, but I really don't know because he didn't come home.
"WON"? Does he not realize that arguments with a significant other are not about either party winning, but solving a problem together? I'd worry about a man who doesn't understand that.

He thinks I only show I really love him when I am about to lose him.

In a way he is right, I will fight for us if I feel a threat.

What does he define as love? Drama, longing, etc? Because, yeah, those aren't going to happen if you're not arguing, because the honeymoon period always comes to an end. And I'd worry that if this is how he's getting his emotional needs met and feels "loved", that he may be manufacturing drama to get you to give him what he needs.

For a healthier approach to this, read about the 5 Love Languages, and figure out what languages you both speak, and then give love to the other in their preferred language, as opposed to the default setting of assuming that they receive love the same way that you do.

He thinks I don't want a long term relationship. While I have been trying to fill my days, while he is with his children...he has been thinking that I am starting to move towards a single life.
But the reality is that you don't have children, so you are free to do with your days as you wish. He has kids, his time is limited. He sounds jealous and threatened by the prospect of your independence, rather than happy to let you spend your time how you wish.

He thinks I am trying to stop him from seeing his children and said he will not apologize for adoring his children and he will always adore his children.

This is the hard part...I do not feel I have ever asked him to make a choice and don't understand why he feels this way. I was a part of his children's lives with him, until his Ex felt the children were getting to close to me. Now, it's as she wants it...he is only allowed to see his children at their place and exclude me. That is the part that hurts!

Okay, this part has my alarm bells ringing. I recently got out of a relationship with a man with kids (his were teenagers, though), and an ex-wife that tried to break us up using the kids to control him. For a long time, my now-ex didn't see her games and manipulations... probably because he didn't want to see it, because then he'd have to do something about it, and going against his ex-wife meant her pitching a toddler-level screaming and accusatory fit.

If he wants a successful long term relationship, he cannot allow his ex-wife to dictate what happens at his home. She is divorced, and part of that harsh reality is that she can no longer control her children 100% of the time. Many co-parents struggle with this, especially when their ex gets into a serious relationship, which is understandable. But many are able to set their egos aside and do what is best for the kids by accepting the new reality and the associated loss of control. Then there are those who choose to live in the past and still think their feelings should be at the top of their ex's priority list because they share children. Those are the ones who cause unnecessary conflict to avoid dealing with what is another loss, and you've got yourself one of those.

When they are at Dad's house, Dad decides what is best for them, and that includes whether they spend time with you. The fact that he is allowing her this level of control over his life, and then having the gall to project his ex-wife's manipulations onto you... yeah, this isn't looking good.

SHE is the one trying to prevent him from seeing his kids because she is upset that he has a woman in his life. You are not doing anything, and if he chooses to blame you rather than the party who IS responsible, then a relationship with this man is not going to be healthy or fun for you.

Now, there is another situation...three days ago the children's main caregiver quit. His Ex works and most times stays close to her work, during the weekdays. He is more available, so even if he wanted to make the move to come home, he can't until they sort out this. I am so scare that the Ex will just expect him to live there and watch the children. She has done many things to interrupt our lives and she tells the children that Daddy doesn't love you and want to take care of you, if he doesn't.
This guy needs to get some boundaries with his ex-wife around parenting time. Being her constant back-up and covering for her so she can work is akin to the arrangement of being married. I can understand if this is temporary, or if he watches them at his house to maintain boundaries, but what you've said sounds a bit too cozy to me.

(And before the parents of board jump all over me, I am viewing this through the lens of whether he is ready for a long-term relationship, not whether he is a good father. I agree that he should be there for his kids on his time, in emergencies, and occasionally helping out if the ex has a scheduling conflict. But the cozy arrangement of being a constant back-up for his ex at her residence is not conducive to moving on with his life, and he shouldn't try to have a serious relationship if these are the choices he is going to make. He can balance caring for his children and having boundaries with his ex and he is not doing that.)

Any advice how to continue this reconciling to move forward and

how to deal with the Ex/children would be so much appreciated.

I am at a loss, I have no been in a situation of reconciling or with a man with small children and an ex trying to break us up.

Though it is tempting to feel powerless and blame the ex, the real problem is your guy and his lack of boundaries. Once kids are in the picture, people seem to want to cling on to some sort of co-dependence with their ex and end up acting like they are still together. Your guy is doing this, and while it is fine, it is not allowing space for a new serious relationship in his life.

Unless he can find the strength to develop boundaries and separate his life from his ex in a respectful manner, then you are going to be unhappy.

Start viewing him as the person causing you pain, because that is what he is doing. He can change things in his life to make room for you and still be a great loving dad to his kids, he is choosing not to do that, and he isn't even aware that there is a problem.

All signs point to unhappiness for you. I would walk away with my head held high, after explaining to him my boundaries for myself, which include not letting his ex-wife run his life via the kids any longer. You may have to specifically point out examples for him, because he has blinders on. Be prepared for that conversation not to go well, though, since it's easy to blame the "outsider" for causing problems, rather than taking a good hard look at how he is helping to create those problems.

So, a guy with poor boundaries with his ex, who projects her bad behavior onto you, and who doesn't know how to communicate in a healthy manner... it's not looking good. I would walk away after telling him my expectations. Maybe he'll be back someday after sorting things out and developing boundaries with is ex. If you don't walk away, I think you will be getting more than your fair share of pain as the convenient scapegoat for his ex, because you have the audacity to want to have an adult relationship with a man who thinks he is ready for that but is so not ready for that. It is him that is the problem, not you.

Edited by idoltree
  • Author
Personally Me

Hi sdrawkcaB,

I replied to your encouraging words and insight..but I don't see it here so here goes again...

a triangle of conflict of interest with your mate being stuck in the middle.

This is true. It has been over a year, since I have seen his children.

He doesn't want to put his children in the middle of this, either. He is trying to protect his children from being drilled and told I am a bad person.

During our last talk, I suggested maybe his Ex will reconsider now that the caregiver quit. He didn't think it would make a difference to his Ex. I told him that somehow there has to be a counteraction to the negative things said to his children about us, especially me.

You both need to have a sit down on how to communicate better.

This is what I am hoping to do with the ongoing talks. I am trying to find answers why we fight the way we do. I don't want it that way anymore.

I have been searching the net...conflict styles and 5 love langauges.

His children are #1, so he will always be helping with their needs

I know this and that is okay with me. What is not okay with me is the circumstances around that. I have told him that we actually agree that he has to be with his children even though it's a sudden interfering tactic of his Ex.

you must confront your insecurities and put a lot of faith and trust in your mates actions with you.

I have started doing this and I think that word "needy" is used too loosely.

It's a fine line expressing your feelings to sounding "needy"

I have told him that I feel neglected and abandoned when these sudden sleepovers happen.

That I needed him to tell me...I Love You. Not just "Sorry" and I will be home tomorrow. He really thought I had nothing to be concerned about and not start a fight because he said he would be home the next day.

I hope he is more sensitive to my insecurities, the next time. I know there will be a next time, because this has happened 3 times since we moved back in together.

He must learn to put you along side his thoughts as if you are their mother as well, so he is not alone in dealing with such matters. I know he probably is keeping Ex out of the picture as much as possible, as to protect you from feeling burdened by dealing with his matters.

YES!

there is hope for your relationship. Just allow trust in him, as he has shown he is fighting for you, not fighting to leave you.

Thank you for seeing this and understanding why I want this relationship and want to do my part.

I still have my doubts but when I surrender to putting my love and trust in him, I can see he is more willing to communicate his insecurities and fears, too. And he will show his strong side, too.

• Author
Personally Me

Hi sdrawkcaB,

I replied to your encouraging words and insight..but I don't see it here so here goes again...

He doesn't want to put his children in the middle of this, either. He is trying to protect his children from being drilled and told I am a bad person.

During our last talk, I suggested maybe his Ex will reconsider now that the caregiver quit. He didn't think it would make a difference to his Ex. I told him that somehow there has to be a counteraction to the negative things said to his children about us, especially me.

This is what I am hoping to do with the ongoing talks. I am trying to find answers why we fight the way we do. I don't want it that way anymore.

I know this and that is okay with me. What is not okay with me is the circumstances around that. I have told him that we actually agree that he has to be with his children even though it's a sudden interfering tactic of his Ex.

you must confront your insecurities and put a lot of faith and trust in your mates actions with you.

I have told him that I feel neglected and abandoned when these sudden sleepovers happen.

That I needed him to tell me...I Love You. Not just "Sorry" and I will be home tomorrow. He really thought I had nothing to be concerned about and not start a fight because he said he would be home the next day.

I hope he is more sensitive to my insecurities, the next time. I know there will be a next time, because this has happened 3 times since we moved back in together.

He must learn to put you along side his thoughts as if you are their mother as well, so he is not alone in dealing with such matters. I know he probably is keeping Ex out of the picture as much as possible, as to protect you from feeling burdened by dealing with his matters.

YES!

there is hope for your relationship. Just allow trust in him, as he has shown he is fighting for you, not fighting to leave you.

Thank you for seeing this and understanding why I want this relationship and want to do my part.

I still have my doubts but when I surrender to putting my love and trust in him, I can see he is more willing to communicate his insecurities and fears, too. And he will show his strong side, too.

Edited by Personally Me
double post
  • Author
Personally Me

Hi Idoltree,

Thank you for responding...

Yes...texting is an art! Truly understanding the downfalls and keeping them in the foreground during texting is so important. Even texts that start off sweet can quickly end up in a battle.

Does he not realize that arguments with a significant other are not about either party winning

Yes, he knows we are in it together. It was more his ego that kept him from coming home. He was hurt that I told him to stay there the rest of the week and come home on the weekend. I said it out of frustration, feeling abandoned and neglected. I have apologized since.

Many couples make the mistake of trying to win an argument in the heat of the moment. It doesn't make him a man to worry about. He has always considered us a team, a couple and it hurts him when he thinks I am not thinking as a team or couple. I don't want to lose this because he thinks I am not in it for the long term.

What does he define as love? Drama, longing, etc?

I have wondered about this at times. He seems to want a simple life but drama seems to follow him or as you say, he creates it. I am quilty of that myself. I know I have to give this more thought. Off the top of my head, it all stems to our insecurities not our love.

He sounds jealous and threatened by the prospect of your independence, rather than happy to let you spend your time how you wish.

I think at times he is. He would suggest I spend time with my

grandchildren while he was with his children. I think he feels more secure if he knows where and who I am with. I have taken offense to it and told him that I will figure out what I do with my time and don't need his help.

I think I should change my position on my stubborness because I want

this relationship to work. I know he likes control and need reassurance, too. Shouldn't I do my part by offering more of my whereabouts when that is the way to help him feel secure with our relationship?

I recently got out of a relationship with a man with kids...

I am so glad you responding to my post...your experiences and input in these circumstances are appreciated.

didn't see her games and manipulations... probably because he didn't want to see it,

I see that was true at time, more the beginning than now. I don't know why he didn't see the manipulation of the sudden sleepovers. The first time, I figured out what was behind it and asked him if this was going to be a norm because I think she will do it again, now. He is stuck...he wants that extra time with his children, annoyed she didn't give him notice, scared I am going to get upset.

He really has to understand that I am not upset with him, I am upset with the circumstances.

Going against his Ex has very unreasonable consequences...the children are suddenly not available, he can't given talk to them on the phone, there is no communication about the kids at all. This is too much for him.

And I do not want to get involved because I was be blamed for anything that goes wrong with access to his children. I realize I am in a vulnerable position.

You have asked some very good questions...I want to think about them all and accept what relates to my situation. This is half way through your response.

I think you have some valuable input..

Give me a moment to collect my thoughts to respond to the rest.

• Author
Personally Me

Continued with Idoltree...

read about the 5 Love Languages

Thank you for this...I have checked out their site and did the test.

I may go to the book store, too.

What do you think of Dr. Phil's Relationship Rescue?

I recently got out of a relationship with a man with kids

I can appreciate that you recently got out and emotions are still raw.

Was it because of the struggles with the ex using the children?

I am trying to find a solution to manage the tactics of the ex.

I want things to happen faster but it doesn't look that way right now.

Because he thinks I am competing with his kids...not the right word but close. We have not been on the same page. I think he is starting to understand because he is talking about his children to me, again. I like what Sdraw said...that he has to include me like I am their mother, too...even though I have no contact with them. Starting with that, I can see him opening up to me more and I being a better support system for him.

he cannot allow his ex-wife to dictate what happens at his home.

I don't think he should do this even if he wasn't in a long term relationship.

But we haven't got there, yet. She will not allow the children here, unless I leave. He stood up for me and told her that he will never ask me to leave our home. I offered him to leave so they could visit, but he would have none of that. He said it was our home and she is out of line.

She is divorced

To set the record straight...she will not give him a divorce, that will be a big issue down the road.

He is separated from her and we have been together for three years.

Then there are those who choose to live in the past and still think their feelings should be at the top of their ex's priority list because they share children. Those are the ones who cause unnecessary conflict to avoid dealing with what is another loss, and you've got yourself one of those.

Yes, I do...how do I work with that?

He asked me once if I would be willing to meet his Ex and maybe that would help. This is one of those time, as you said "didn't see her games and manipulations" because she had told him that she was happy for him that he found love. I told him that I would be willing if she was and it wasn't a trap to get me into a situation of her sisters, her against me.

Well, something happened that showed him she wasn't happy for him and I really don't know the details but he didn't ask me again.

The fact that he is allowing her this level of control over his life, and then having the gall to project his ex-wife's manipulations onto you...

Yes, I have been arguing this with him over and over again. But I do not think he has the gall, I think he just doesn't know what to do. He wants to protect his children and protect me. She uses emotionally blackmail and whatever she can not only on him but on her children.

you've said sounds a bit too cozy to me.

It does to me, too. I don't like him having to sleep over at their house whether she is there or not. He has tried hard to tell me, no one is home but the children and him. He even did a overnight camper trip with the children and I know it was for me to be at ease.

But, it still will not sit right with me. Plus, I know she wants him there to cause conflict for us. She really believes if I leave him that he will come back there...and coparent there.

Come to think of it, she is likely more hostile because we broke up and lost our first apartment and he didn't go back. When we moved into our new apartment, she started these sudden sleepovers.

if he chooses to blame you rather than the party who IS responsible, then a relationship with this man is not going to be healthy or fun for you.

He has never blamed me for what his ex is doing. I said I do not want to put myself in a position where I get blamed. She blames me, not him.

One thing he did say was that he doesn't think I fully appreciate the efforts he made to be with me.

This guy needs to get some boundaries with his ex-wife around parenting time.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. What can be done without jeopardizing his children's well being? Without her denying access to his children? Without setting her off to find something new to intrude in our lives? It always boils down to its up to them to figure it out. She simply says he can see his children anytime he wants as long the children are not near me and at their house. He really believed she would settle down and start being reasonable.

co-dependence with their ex

I don't think this is the case. Their marriage was not for the right reasons. She did not love him and he did not love her. It was a rebound after his wife of 30 years passed away. He and his ex do nothing together. One time, they went to the doctor's together with their son, but that's about all, I can think of.

Unless he can find the strength to develop boundaries and separate his life from his ex in a respectful manner, then you are going to be unhappy

He really has done some reasonable things to set boundaries within the limited options he has. He will not stay in the house if she is there, there is no need to. He made his position clear by living with me and still wanting to talk things over.

What he needs is to set boundaries and is struggling how to do that. I think it's not an easy situation for either of us, not just me.

Most everything you have said about leaving him, I disagree with, of course.

I will not leave him because of this is a huge challenge and knowing it will take more time than we thought, with setbacks we didn't expect. What needs to happen is for us to be on the same page regarding his children and ex, so we are united and keeping communication open.

I will not be unhappy with him. I will not start looking at him as the man that causes me pain. I need to fill the void in my life, while he is with his children. I need to handle the unexpected with grace. He really feeds off my moods and it hurts him, if I am hurt.

I am serious about wanting this to be our last horrible fight and get on with reconciling, so we are living together and getting on with our lives the best we can, together.

sdrawkcaB ssA
Hi sdrawkcaB,

YES!

I really think he needs to be completely open with you. As he is either a bad communicator or expects too much from you in understanding.

As long as he continues his path in keeping you in the dark, you will always feel left outside.

I don't see how any of the terrible arguments are from you and your communication skills. As it seems you are clear with your thoughts and reasoning.

Whether or not you are in the middle, he must respect you as an adult.

I have gone through a lot of protection mode with my LDR, thinking it was for the best. Knowing we may never see each other, I would keep my thoughts hidden, and later in knowing she is married, I kept my feelings hidden as well, as I did not want to pull her away.

Once I broke myself from being protective, our complications were no more.

I am sorry that I am not so clear on pin pointing ways to resolve, as the only way to resolve is to see what really is happening, not what you feel and deal with in its results.