Ex contacted me after over a year of NC?

My ex broke up with me in May of 2013. It was a short relationship, but very passionate and lustful, and I ended up crying when he sat me down to talk.

A year and a half later, and we have both moved on. We're in separate relationships that have lasted about the same amount of time (around 9-10 months).

After not talking for almost 17 months, he suddenly wrote me a huge apology letter over Facebook, stating that he truly felt guilty for hurting me, and that I was a really nice girl.

He then started texting me, saying something like "I hope you don't mind that I kept your phone number" while I had deleted his a while back. He started asking me a bunch of questions about my personal life, my job, my college life, etc.

I finally told him "If you want to talk, let's just meet in person and settle things once and for all" because I know that he had done so with another one of his exes, so I assumed this was what he was aiming at. I'm not a jealous, vengeful type of person, so I didn't see anything wrong in doing this.

He agreed, gave me his availabilities. I gave him mine.

Then he disappeared for three weeks. :rolleyes: I thought he changed his mind.

But he texted me again TODAY, asking if I wanted to meet with him over coffee this Sunday.

I don't believe that his guilt finally got the best of him after all that time, especially since he's in a new relationship and his life is basically going great from what he says. But people tell me he might be clearing his conscience.

I don't get why he reappeared in my life all of a sudden. Is this just platonic intent/concern to see how I'm doing?

Edited by purplemania
My ex broke up with me in May of 2013. It was a short relationship, but very passionate and lustful, and I ended up crying when he sat me down to talk.

A year and a half later, and we have both moved on. We're in separate relationships that have lasted about the same amount of time (around 9-10 months).

After not talking for almost 17 months, he suddenly wrote me a huge apology letter over Facebook, stating that he truly felt guilty for hurting me, and that I was a really nice girl.

He then started texting me, saying something like "I hope you don't mind that I kept your phone number" while I had deleted his a while back. He started asking me a bunch of questions about my personal life, my job, my college life, etc.

I finally told him "If you want to talk, let's just meet in person and settle things once and for all" because I know that he had done so with another one of his exes, so I assumed this was what he was aiming at. I'm not a jealous, vengeful type of person, so I didn't see anything wrong in doing this.

He agreed, gave me his availabilities. I gave him mine.

Then he disappeared for three weeks. :rolleyes: I thought he changed his mind.

But he texted me again TODAY, asking if I wanted to meet with him over coffee this Sunday.

I don't believe that his guilt finally got the best of him after all that time, especially since he's in a new relationship and his life is basically going great from what he says. But people tell me he might be clearing his conscience.

I don't get why he reappeared in my life all of a sudden. Is this just platonic intent/concern to see how I'm doing?

You know my ex cheated and broke up with me to be someone else. I never heard anything from him after that... NO apology, no Facebook message, NOTHING. They are now getting married and even if he was guilty, they wouldn't go out of their way to meet you and apologize for what they did :)

What I'm saying is that, an ex wouldn't want to meet up for no reason. Even if he didn't admit this to you, he is testing out the waters. Try to see if he could be friends with u again and IF things don't go too well for him, who knows he might just decide to date you again? Fallback?

You can be friends with him if you can handle it.:)

Edited by krooton25
  • Like 1

The girl he dumped you for just traded up and tossed him to the curb and rather than being alone he is hoping that you will still be there for him and give him a huge ego boost by telling him how happy you are to hear from him and then after a few weeks he will drop you again.

if you can handle being his fallback option totally go for it!

• Like 2
  • Author
The girl he dumped you for just traded up and tossed him to the curb and rather than being alone he is hoping that you will still be there for him and give him a huge ego boost by telling him how happy you are to hear from him and then after a few weeks he will drop you again.

if you can handle being his fallback option totally go for it!

I checked his Facebook after he contacted me, and they're still in a relationship, so I don't think she dumped him.. She's one of those girls that's desperately infatuated with whomever she dates, so she's into him, I don't doubt it.

But I agree that he might be looking for a fallback; I just wasn't sure if his intent was pure.

Like I said, I'm in a relationship myself, so it really doesn't bother me that much. It's curiosity if anything. My own relationship is also the reason why it's kind of hard for me to imagine going out of my way to talk to my ex while my boyfriend is still in the picture. It just seems so bizarre that he "caved in to guilt" now out of all times. :confused: