Erasmus took the love of my life

Ok, so this is yet another sob story, which I'm sure you guys read everyday. But I guess I just have to get it out of my system.

I met Her first year in University. It was 2011. At that moment I was still going out of another relationship with my highschool sweetheart. It was tough enough, bet She helped me get through it by becoming my closest friend. Later I found out that She was the first to fall in love with me. Then I followed.

Since we were best friends, the relationship become strong as a rock. We never had a serious fight, always laughed, shared similarities and very big differences also. That what made us strong.

Everything was going great. We were planning our future together, which was supposed to be fantastic. We kept it realistic, but oh so serious.

Then, half a year ago, She decided to go study abroad with Erasmus student exchange program for a semester in Krakow, Poland. I was supportive about this and never even had the idea to not let her go. I knew She had big plans for her career and this trip had to put her ahead of the curb. It was almost necesary for Her.

I was fairly calm about this trip. I knew it was going to be tough, but was certain we were strong enough for any challenge.

So She went. As time went by I noticed change in her. She stopped writing, I had to force her to talk to me. She started going out at nights, getting back in the mornings. She said she loved me still, but this distance kept pulling us apart. Finally, when there were only a couple of months left until She returned, we stoped talking. But I still had hope everything would change when she comes back.

I was waiting for Her call. It never came. I had to call myself and find out she has already come back. Then I found out she already has someone else. An Italian guy that she met.

I mean... Sorry, my English is not so very good, maybe I can't put things very clearly. But we were very strong. We were so madly and deeply in love. We had our future planned out. How could she just replace me with some stranger from another country during such a short period? How could she just dump everything we had?

I feel humiliated. My self-esteem is crushed. I feel like I'm worse than that Mario. And he's even from another country! I'm so baffled as to how love this strong can just... Evaporate?

Again, sorry for my broken english. What I've just writen is far from what I could express in my mother tongue. It's just hard as hell...

Now I'm in no man's land. I have nothing to do. Nothing to pursue. Nothing seems worth trying for. She's gone. And the fact that she's with someone else makes it even worse. I tried talking with her about it, but she just keeps changing the subject. She says that she remembers us with joy, but just doesn't feel the same way she did. And that's it. It's just gone.

So I'm just sitting here. Thinking about we could've had. And what we'll never have again. Feeling pathetic, because I know she wouldn't want to see me this way. Now I'm really not the guy she fell in love with in the first place... But I was. And she left me for another either way.

Uh.. I guess that's it. My vocabulary's running out anyway. I hope I've made any sence to some of you. I just can't believe she's gone....

I'm sorry man. It's always a punch in the stomach to see the ex leaving and being with someone right away.

The way she handled it shows she wasn't no where near you when it comes to dedication and seriousness. I guess she's too young for that kind of commitment. Chalk it up to a learning experience. You will anyway two years down range. You might as well start right away. It's not your fault, you weren't a bad boyfriend. It's her loss. Get out, work out, meet with friends. Anything goes, as long as it takes your mind off her.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks! I'm really glad I found this forum. Maybe it's kind of selfish, but it feels better knowing that I'm not the only one going through this. Btw, I just got back from a weekend with friends - it was awesome. Felt really good.

I just commend on your English. I write well.

More importantly, I am so sorry you are going through this. You deserved so much better than how she handled this. I can only imagine how painful this has been for you.

You have my empathy and I send wishes of strength and peace.

I've been both the dumper and the dumpee in this kind of situation. When I got dumped, I had gone to college, and after 6 weeks, she got rid of me for somebody else. I wondered how in the world she could do that so easily after everything we had, and everything we had done together.

Fourteen years later, I was dating the sweetest girl you could imagine. We had been together for 3+ years, and I loved her. We were going to start talking about marriage plans after the summer ended. We were going to go to the beach on Labor Day weekend, but at the last minute, something came up and she couldn't go. That weekend, I met my wife. It wasn't love at first sight, but I knew the day I met her that we would marry. I told my girlfriend it was over, and never looked back.

It wasn't that I didn't love her, or didn't love our time together. The bubble just popped. I have no idea why, and I couldn't explain it to her. I can't explain it to you either. You just have to believe that sometimes, it is that way.