Emotions bounce around

Why do your feelings change every day? One day I am so so angry that my ex and I broke up and then that rage the next day turns into complete sadness and grief.

We have been broken up for about 5 weeks and its been really difficult as we were talking about engagement/living together (we had been together for a year - he is 29/I am 26) RED FLAG: never told me he loved me although he spoke about spending the rest of his life with me. THEN out of the blue- via phone (having seen me 3 days prior) said he needed time, overwhelmed, wants to break up.

Since that time we have barely communicated but when we have- he said he wasn't ready to reconsider, his feelings weren't in the right spot any longer... etc. I told him that I felt lied to, betrayed, deceived and misled.

Anyway- point is- how do you achieve that balance so your emotions are not EVERYWHERE. To go from anger, to sadness, to normal, to then sadness every day is exhausting.

Any suggestions?

SMF,

I dont know how to overcome that. Its been happening to me also...yesterday I was fine and today I feel like crap...I feel alone and sad, and hurt...I dont know how to get off the roller coaster, I guess we all just have to hold on and wait untill the ride ends

What you are going through is completely normal. The break up happened only five weeks ago. So you are going to be on that emotional roller coaster for some time. My break up took place over a year go, and I still find myself on that ride sometimes.

Just accept all the feelings that come and find a way to ride with it, ie journaling, going for a walk, read, see a movie. Maybe write up some sort of plan to deal with each emotion. That way you will know what to do everytime you become depressed, angry, sad, etc. Sad? Call your Mom. Angry? Go for a run/walk. Depressed? Cry or visit a friend. Hope that helps.

SMF,

Angry - Go to a gym and beat yourself up on the treadmill for naively believing that he was the one (I can run a 5mile in 40 mintues) :p

Sad - Go to you local music store and buy all the music that you know will make you cry, and take the longest drive you can (make sure you ration out the gas for the return trip) :rolleyes:

Depressed - Hit the bottle at a bar by yourself and enjoy the 'view' (things start to look better as the buzz increases) :cool:

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY..............

Normal - Laugh your ass off about how lucky you are to have gotten screwed over (It does help....) :)

You'll never be alone on this forum!