Dumped and left wondering why

First time poster, and been reading some posts here and there and finally decided to join and ask about my specific situation.

Sorry for the length but would rather give more detail then to little.

My ex-girlfriend(20) and I(23) have been dating for 3 years. She broke up with me about a month and half ago and wrote a letter stating she loved me still and could see me in her future but right now she needed to live her life for her. She said our relationship just became a routine, told me it was nothing I did wrong she just felt like it "wasn't our time". She stayed with me until I read the letter and she bawled her eyes out while I read it. I realized that me being her first everything there was going to be a time where she would want to travel/experiment/date other guys/party.

We kept communication/hung out like we were still dating for a week after and finally I told her I couldn't keep doing this it felt like she was just toying with me because she wanted her space but couldn't let me go. In her letter she asked me to write one back to her and I did.. the letter contents was just saying how I felt about the situation and why she didn't take the "out" I gave her 3 months prior when I said we should take some space. I dropped off her letter to her but she was with her best friend, I asked if we could take for 5 minutes she said No that I told her it was me just dropping of the letter and nothing else she felt like I tricked her into talking and said to me "I don't think I'm in love with you anymore" and she was just angry. I left it at that and drove away.

Later that night we texted for a bit just picking her brain a bit but most of the answers she gave me were unclear or "I don't know". She told me that the week apart made her realize things without me "influencing" her decision and said she didn't want to give me false hope, that we cannot be together but in time we can become great friends. I asked her when she didn't feel attracted to me she said "I don't know I guess I tried to convince myself I was still in love with you" when asked how long she thought about this break up she said "not long about a day, it finally just hit me". She said we weren't ending on bad terms, which confuses me as to why she couldn't even say hi when she saw me in person.

Now I find out her best friend might have played a part in breaking us up because her friend always flirted with me and tried making moves, even though I declined. She seemed jealous of the relationship we had due to her lack of luck in the relationship department she had just broken up with her boyfriend 3 months prior. She shared her thought with a friend of mine saying "I like him as a person, I just didn't like him as her boyfriend"

After 3 weeks of No contact, I know she wont contact me because she is stubborn and hard headed. It was her exam period and I wanted to do a nice gesture(stupid I know) but I send her good luck flowers, when I sent that her best friend blocked and deleted me off facebook and the next day she deleted me but didn't block me.

I was always a reasonable boyfriend, I tried avoiding conflicts when they could be avoided and I owned up to my mistakes when I made them. I was not the jealous type I trusted her. I would encourage her to go out with her friends/party/clubs and I would encourage the space within the relationship.. mainly the only thing off limits was her sleeping with another guy.

I've realized now that time has passed and we haven't spoken in a month, that our relationship wasn't all fine and dandy our communication lacked due to us never wanting to hurt eachothers feelings, we were infact in a routine and to be honest I wasn't the same guy she fell for 3 years ago. I got to comfortable stopped going to the gym and the last few months I acted different because I felt embarrassed for her to be seen with me insecurities. I take responsibility for my actions towards the break up and I'm working on them not for her but for me. The arguments we had I look back now and see were pointless and just dumb.

I ran into her and her best friend at a local club last weekend and she would be dancing and talking with all guys and both her and her friend would look in my direction to see if I was looking. She never made an attempt to talk to me and we would walk by eachother like we didn't even know eachother. Now two nights ago her bestfriend tells a friend of mine to give me a message "Tell him its over".

I've done some research and I've come up with the Grass is greener syndrome, but I would like some 3rd person input. I know grass is greener usually involves leaving someone for another person but she isn't seeing anyone. She spends most of her time with her bestfriend now and partying/drinking/blowing money/ things that when we were together she was more conservative of. It seems like she doesn't care about me at all and isn't bothered by the break up what so ever, could it be she hasn't gone thru the stages of "break up" like I am going thru now?

Edited by Thatoneguy22

Hey, tough as it sounds very similar to mine. We separated 2 weeks back, I got into a routine, lost my way and boom, left me. Similar to you my ex has a best friend who really put a spanner in the works, but end of day it's there choice to leave you and there choice to come back if want.

Yes I got lazy, but my thoughts and actions where only for her, we too lacke dthat communication. She knows how I feel and sure yours does too. But as time goes by I believe it is now up to her and if its not mean't to be it's not mean't to be.

I sat here all day today and done nothing doom and gloom but at least she hasn't occupied all my thoughts as she has over the last few weeks.

Grass maybe greener doesn't mean its fresh and better. Like me need to stop procrastinating, can't change the past.

It's tough but ...we can do it

• Like 1
  • Author
Hey, tough as it sounds very similar to mine. We separated 2 weeks back, I got into a routine, lost my way and boom, left me. Similar to you my ex has a best friend who really put a spanner in the works, but end of day it's there choice to leave you and there choice to come back if want.

Yes I got lazy, but my thoughts and actions where only for her, we too lacke dthat communication. She knows how I feel and sure yours does too. But as time goes by I believe it is now up to her and if its not mean't to be it's not mean't to be.

I sat here all day today and done nothing doom and gloom but at least she hasn't occupied all my thoughts as she has over the last few weeks.

Grass maybe greener doesn't mean its fresh and better. Like me need to stop procrastinating, can't change the past.

It's tough but ...we can do it

I've been keeping busy but today is just one of those days where she's all I think about. But I know that for this to all work she needs her space to live freely make her own mistakes and learn herself without me being there to get her out of trouble.

You're right about that, her bestfriend gave the push but she could have easily avoided it. and as you said its tough but it will be easier as time takes its toll.

HeartbrokenNewbie

Well these people obviously get off on the honeymoon stage & when a relationship settles down (which they all do) they get bored & run to find the next high... Probably will have a couple of divorces behind them in a few years.. Confuse lust with love. Don't waste your time my ex done the same x

• Like 2
You're right about that, her bestfriend gave the push but she could have easily avoided it. and as you said its tough but it will be easier as time takes its toll.

Yeah buddy, I hear you. My thoughts are I was caring, always thinking of her, loved her to death, but got lazy at times and made a few not life threatening mistakes but mistakes. We all human my friend and mistakes are part of life. if they the ex want or think they can get better not much we can do, but I'm taking from you're post like me your a nice caring guy and know what let them.

Down the track they may move on and hopefully we can too. As i posted in previous thread, I hope down the track we get that call in say 3 6 or 12 months, but we as people are stronger and can reply if we want, if we do it will be with not what they want but what we want and maybe then we don't want them. Hang in there.

• Like 1
  • Author
Yeah buddy, I hear you. My thoughts are I was caring, always thinking of her, loved her to death, but got lazy at times and made a few not life threatening mistakes but mistakes. We all human my friend and mistakes are part of life. if they the ex want or think they can get better not much we can do, but I'm taking from you're post like me your a nice caring guy and know what let them.

Down the track they may move on and hopefully we can too. As i posted in previous thread, I hope down the track we get that call in say 3 6 or 12 months, but we as people are stronger and can reply if we want, if we do it will be with not what they want but what we want and maybe then we don't want them. Hang in there.

We will move on we just have to stay busy and do things we love, self improve and make ourselves number 1 priority now. if they come around like you say we will weigh the options and who knows by then youll figure out we really dont need/want them in our lives. what I realized is life goes on and it will be okay.

This situation is so similar to mine and I know how exactly u are feeling. That girl doesn't deserve you and u should stop thinking as to why she broke up cuz the reason is so damn clear. She doesn't want to be with u. My ex has been behaving the same and happy with the other girls and parties and success..I still love him..but I know he doesnt..it's better u move on and wait for the right person who won't leave u just like that for no reason..cuz every couple has issues but Noone just breaks up..if they do..it just means that the person wasnt in love

• Like 2
  • Author
This situation is so similar to mine and I know how exactly u are feeling. That girl doesn't deserve you and u should stop thinking as to why she broke up cuz the reason is so damn clear. She doesn't want to be with u. My ex has been behaving the same and happy with the other girls and parties and success..I still love him..but I know he doesnt..it's better u move on and wait for the right person who won't leave u just like that for no reason..cuz every couple has issues but Noone just breaks up..if they do..it just means that the person wasnt in love

understandable and im doing my all to move on and do things for myself but theres those days that just hit you hard. I would have assumed after 3 years she was in love by her actionsbtowards me buying me a promise ring and all but I just assumed it was the GIGS stage.. due to her starting her college and me being done working.

understandable and im doing my all to move on and do things for myself but theres those days that just hit you hard. I would have assumed after 3 years she was in love by her actionsbtowards me buying me a promise ring and all but I just assumed it was the GIGS stage.. due to her starting her college and me being done working.

I know you're having a hard time letting go. And I think you're still in the denial stage. But you need to start healing. If I were you I would try to stop trying to "understand why." Just be glad it happened before you two decided to get married and/or have kiss.

BTW, what's a promise ring? Isn't that what high school students give each other? What's the purpose of it? Why did she give it to you?

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Author
I know you're having a hard time letting go. And I think you're still in the denial stage. But you need to start healing. If I were you I would try to stop trying to "understand why." Just be glad it happened before you two decided to get married and/or have kiss.

BTW, what's a promise ring? Isn't that what high school students give each other? What's the purpose of it? Why did she give it to you?

Good luck.

ive come to terms with it being over I know shes out doing her own thing living the single life, its just hard to see her do a 180 like that I always put her before myself made sure her work/school work was done before making time for me because I wanted her to succeed. im working in myself and letting go but part of me has that small speck of hope. i know im not the same guy she fell in love with ive been distant towards her for a bit but those were the insecurities.

I don't think she's the girl you fell in love with either. So you guys are even. I think she was mean to you at the end. Mean and immature..

ive come to terms with it being over I know shes out doing her own thing living the single life, its just hard to see her do a 180 like that I always put her before myself made sure her work/school work was done before making time for me because I wanted her to succeed. im working in myself and letting go but part of me has that small speck of hope. i know im not the same guy she fell in love with ive been distant towards her for a bit but those were the insecurities.
  • Like 2
  • Author
I don't think she's the girl you fell in love with either. So you guys are even. I think she was mean to you at the end. Mean and immature..

good way to put it , ya she was her cold hearted and immature but thats how her and her best friend are together. her friend is 23 and her 20 she looks up to her sort of. and the ring wasiterally a wedding band she gave me..

I really don't get the GIGS feeling with this.

GIGS usually occurs literally out of NO WHERE and with no real problems in the relationship.

You've already stated a number of red flags you guys had and it was something that was probably brewing under the surface for quite some time.

- Lack of communication

- Allowing indifference to creep into the relationship

- You stopped taking care of yourself

- Boring routine

It just sounds like as time went on you both just became increasingly complacent, and the relationship just fizzled out. Relationships are CONSTANT work. Constant. As in an every day effort. And the day you stop putting that effort in, is the day the relationship dies.

Also, she's SUPER young. What she wanted at 17 isn't going to be what she wants at 20. And what she wants now, isn't going to be what she wants at 25, and so on and so forth. People are constantly evolving and growing and VERY rarely do people who date at 17 remain together their entire lifetimes.

It's a very scary thought to feel trapped in a relationship that has become complacent. The thought of "forever" in that situation pushes a lot of people to finally pull the plug on a long term relationship.

• Like 3

She's 20 not a teenager, I wouldn't blame the friend for anything.

good way to put it , ya she was her cold hearted and immature but thats how her and her best friend are together. her friend is 23 and her 20 she looks up to her sort of. and the ring wasiterally a wedding band she gave me..
  • Like 1
  • Author

I knew lack of communication played a huge rule, we were both scared to hurt each others feelings as dumb as that sounds. the boring routine I understand but we both just felt so comfortable doing it when I tried to make suggestions she was too tired or not into the idea. can you elaborate on the indifference?

I really don't get the GIGS feeling with this.

GIGS usually occurs literally out of NO WHERE and with no real problems in the relationship.

You've already stated a number of red flags you guys had and it was something that was probably brewing under the surface for quite some time.

- Lack of communication

- Allowing indifference to creep into the relationship

- You stopped taking care of yourself

- Boring routine

It just sounds like as time went on you both just became increasingly complacent, and the relationship just fizzled out. Relationships are CONSTANT work. Constant. As in an every day effort. And the day you stop putting that effort in, is the day the relationship dies.

Also, she's SUPER young. What she wanted at 17 isn't going to be what she wants at 20. And what she wants now, isn't going to be what she wants at 25, and so on and so forth. People are constantly evolving and growing and VERY rarely do people who date at 17 remain together their entire lifetimes.

It's a very scary thought to feel trapped in a relationship that has become complacent. The thought of "forever" in that situation pushes a lot of people to finally pull the plug on a long term relationship.

Hey mate, (yeah, I'm an Aussie so I can say that lol)

You remind me a bit of someone I'm getting to know... myself :p

After recently getting "let go" of, I've been reading quite a bit and working on my low self esteem that followed after the rather messy break up. I've been using this time to get to know myself a lot better, rebuild my confidence and get to know myself. I've even gone as far as creating another Facebook account in my own name and I'm now officially dating myself :p I post photoshopped photo's of myself with myself on romantic, candle lit dinners, walks on the beach etc. It sounds a little pathetic, but I'm having a laugh at myself (so are my friends) and I'm reconnecting with so many old friends that I run out of time to sit at home and dwell on "her".

If you read, one book that really helped me is Why Men Want Sex and Women Need Love, by Allan and Barbara Pease. It basically breaks relationships/dating/sex down to a neurochemical explanation, which allowed me to view things from a detached viewpoint.

Also, watch the movie called The Secret, which explains the law of attraction. You're going through a grieving process at the moment, but the good news is that you are almost there! :) (Google 5 stages of grief). You need to smoothly come to the acceptance stage, but allow yourself the time to work it out for yourself. The Secret helped me to see that being down and out was only fuelling my grief, and that was putting me into a negative spiral. Turn it on it's head, learn to be positive and confident in yourself again, get to know yourself and eventually work on what it is that dating experts say that women look for in a man (confidence is a BIG thing, along with a sense of humor and compassion, apparently)

You'll be a better man for it, and in a better position to attract someone that's could be compatible with you too, in whatever way. You might catch her attention again, when she see's some change in you and if she does, it's completely up to you to figure out if it's worth another shot. Personally, if she's that flaky that her friend talked her into breaking up with you, then I'd say let it go.

Look after yourself. Rejection hurts, but there are positive sides to it too, focus on them!

Edited by Orph
  • Like 1
  • Author

Thanks for the insight, I have focused my attention on myself now hitting the gym and doing what makes me happy, but always have those questions that I know ill probably never get answers to, like why does she try and make me jealous at clubs or update facebook status to quotes(when I still had her on there) I just don't understand why her friend would send a message to me thru a friend "tell him its over" they both could have come up to me the weekend before and said that... maybe theyre looking for a reaction? so many questions lol

its weird because the week before she was saying how she wanted to be with me forever and talking about how many kids she wanted/marriage.

But I know I should move on and if we reconnect again we will both be more mature.

we've been NC for about a month and a bit, but sometimes I just want to message her and apologize for my half of the failed relationship and let her know this is for the best, but the other half of me says leave it be.. silence is more powerful and I am a quiet guy in general.

Hey mate, (yeah, I'm an Aussie so I can say that lol)

You remind me a bit of someone I'm getting to know... myself :p

After recently getting "let go" of, I've been reading quite a bit and working on my low self esteem that followed after the rather messy break up. I've been using this time to get to know myself a lot better, rebuild my confidence and get to know myself. I've even gone as far as creating another Facebook account in my own name and I'm now officially dating myself :p I post photoshopped photo's of myself with myself on romantic, candle lit dinners, walks on the beach etc. It sounds a little pathetic, but I'm having a laugh at myself (so are my friends) and I'm reconnecting with so many old friends that I run out of time to sit at home and dwell on "her".

If you read, one book that really helped me is Why Men Want Sex and Women Need Love, by Allan and Barbara Pease. It basically breaks relationships/dating/sex down to a neurochemical explanation, which allowed me to view things from a detached viewpoint.

Also, watch the movie called The Secret, which explains the law of attraction. You're going through a grieving process at the moment, but the good news is that you are almost there! :) (Google 5 stages of grief). You need to smoothly come to the acceptance stage, but allow yourself the time to work it out for yourself. The Secret helped me to see that being down and out was only fuelling my grief, and that was putting me into a negative spiral. Turn it on it's head, learn to be positive and confident in yourself again, get to know yourself and eventually work on what it is that dating experts say that women look for in a man (confidence is a BIG thing, along with a sense of humor and compassion, apparently)

You'll be a better man for it, and in a better position to attract someone that's could be compatible with you too, in whatever way. You might catch her attention again, when she see's some change in you and if she does, it's completely up to you to figure out if it's worth another shot. Personally, if she's that flaky that her friend talked her into breaking up with you, then I'd say let it go.

Look after yourself. Rejection hurts, but there are positive sides to it too, focus on them!

I know u would be finding it difficult to move on with all those promises in mind, the ring and the times spent together..but get one thing..reality is very different..and very hard to accept..see..she is gone..she won't be back..and she is living life to the fullest..are u gonna just sit there wondering why all this happened and waste these moments of ur life in such useless thoughts?? She doesn't even care and ur still thinking about it..don't u feel u should wake up, brace yourself and take a step towards forgetting all this? I'm in the same state as urs..exactly the same!! And I really want to help u out..cuz I'm feeling the same..stop going through her fb status, or msging..infact..just block her everywhere..don't be in any contact with her in any manner..this will help u to a great extent!!

• Like 1

I've spend countless hours wasting time trying to figure out why. All that matters is we weren't meant to be together and I wouldn't change a thing that I did.

• Like 1

She’s 20…I could stop there but in all fairness to you she is realizing there is much to life and a relationship was probably cramping her ambitions.

Don’t pay attention to her telling you how long she thought about leaving the relationship. You can be assured it more than one single day. Her words are in conflict with this claim, especially when she says she was working to convince herself she was in love with you. That statement signals the conflict within and the ensuing tug of war which finally brought her to a decision.

This might not make you feel better, but you are very fortunate in a unique sort of way.

You see hundreds of posters come to this site and tell us their EX left them suddenly without an explanation and some never even say goodbye, they just leave, ignore and eventually disappear permitting their dumpee nothing, only to suffer. Your EX took the time to explain it to you, write you a note and perhaps went a little overboard in asking you to write one back. Regardless, she seems to have genuine emotions over the breakup and is sure of what she wants – unfortunately not a love relationship with you.

Where it will get ugly is maintaining contact with her in any form. Believe me she will likely start flirting with and dating others very soon; she is twenty years old and out with the crowds. It will happen and you will not want to witness it or hear of it – it’s time to heal and work on you.

Her friend…she sounds interfering, no doubt, but her message to you on the relationship being over was clearly a signal to me they want to see less of you and if they do, the words mark the ambitions for your EX and her friend in working their own personal agenda.

This is my interpretation and I base it on the countless similar stories we hear on LS. Is yours different, possibly but not likely?

Boil it down to a twenty-year old girl wanting to discover the world after being in a long-term relationship since she was a mere seventeen years of age.

Work on you…be strong.

• Author

Thank you for your insight, very much appreciated. I would have assumed it took her more then one day to come to this conclusion, I knew the one thing that would break us up was going to be the fact that she was going to wonder what else the world has to offer and make mistakes on her own, live life on her own without my perspective or influence. When she told me she guesses she was convincing herself was when we talked for 5 minutes a week after we broke up, and at that time she was still a bit questionable on her decision saying she didn't think she loved me anymore. A month and half have gone by and I drive myself crazy some days but, I know time will heal all and I am doing my best to keep my mind off her. I ran into her and her friend today actually they both just looked the other direction as we crossed paths. They seem to be insperable now, with her being 20 shes going to want to go out party, but I never did stop her from that. I guess my partying days are over and I'm more career driven. I've blamed her friend for fueling the fire but at the end of the day it was HER decision to stay or leave.

She’s 20…I could stop there but in all fairness to you she is realizing there is much to life and a relationship was probably cramping her ambitions.

Don’t pay attention to her telling you how long she thought about leaving the relationship. You can be assured it more than one single day. Her words are in conflict with this claim, especially when she says she was working to convince herself she was in love with you. That statement signals the conflict within and the ensuing tug of war which finally brought her to a decision.

This might not make you feel better, but you are very fortunate in a unique sort of way.

You see hundreds of posters come to this site and tell us their EX left them suddenly without an explanation and some never even say goodbye, they just leave, ignore and eventually disappear permitting their dumpee nothing, only to suffer. Your EX took the time to explain it to you, write you a note and perhaps went a little overboard in asking you to write one back. Regardless, she seems to have genuine emotions over the breakup and is sure of what she wants – unfortunately not a love relationship with you.

Where it will get ugly is maintaining contact with her in any form. Believe me she will likely start flirting with and dating others very soon; she is twenty years old and out with the crowds. It will happen and you will not want to witness it or hear of it – it’s time to heal and work on you.

Her friend…she sounds interfering, no doubt, but her message to you on the relationship being over was clearly a signal to me they want to see less of you and if they do, the words mark the ambitions for your EX and her friend in working their own personal agenda.

This is my interpretation and I base it on the countless similar stories we hear on LS. Is yours different, possibly but not likely?

Boil it down to a twenty-year old girl wanting to discover the world after being in a long-term relationship since she was a mere seventeen years of age.

Work on you…be strong.

With age and “experience” come several forms of maturity. This experience is sure to add even more years to what already appears to be your rather mature mindset.

Although your EX was courteous to you in her departure (a very mature mindset), looking the opposite way and sending messages to you via her friend are the complete opposite of mature.

[highlight]Do want you can to avoid them[/highlight]. If you happen to cross paths, simply smile for a nanosecond and look away, but again, make no more contact with them, no matter what and do whatever you can to prevent crossing paths for at least the next six months or however long it takes to heal yourself. Okay?

Thank you for your insight, very much appreciated. I would have assumed it took her more then one day to come to this conclusion, I knew the one thing that would break us up was going to be the fact that she was going to wonder what else the world has to offer and make mistakes on her own, live life on her own without my perspective or influence. When she told me she guesses she was convincing herself was when we talked for 5 minutes a week after we broke up, and at that time she was still a bit questionable on her decision saying she didn't think she loved me anymore. A month and half have gone by and I drive myself crazy some days but, I know time will heal all and I am doing my best to keep my mind off her. I ran into her and her friend today actually they both just looked the other direction as we crossed paths. They seem to be insperable now, with her being 20 shes going to want to go out party, but I never did stop her from that. I guess my partying days are over and I'm more career driven. I've blamed her friend for fueling the fire but at the end of the day it was HER decision to stay or leave.
  • Author

Very well said, I know its time to heal and maybe down the road when we both mature we can be civil again but I'm not holding my breath.

Her going from mature to immature towards the situation is what I dislike very much, but you cant do much. From the way her friend is acting it sort of feels like I broke up with her too lol.

Her friend just likes the drama to be honest, she was always jealous of the relationship we had. For her friend to say that came as no surprise, I just wish her friend would have said it to me because she isn't the type of person to shy away from anything. I'm trying my best to avoid her completely and "fall of the face of the earth". I need to do it for myself and get myself back to being happy and in love with me.

Maybe its the GIGS maybe its not but making myself wonder and ask why/what if will just drive me crazy. I will not be contacting her and if I do see her I will do what you said smile for a nanosecond and carry on with my chin up.

With age and “experience” come several forms of maturity. This experience is sure to add even more years to what already appears to be your rather mature mindset.

Although your EX was courteous to you in her departure (a very mature mindset), looking the opposite way and sending messages to you via her friend are the complete opposite of mature.

[highlight]Do want you can to avoid them[/highlight]. If you happen to cross paths, simply smile for a nanosecond and look away, but again, make no more contact with them, no matter what and do whatever you can to prevent crossing paths for at least the next six months or however long it takes to heal yourself. Okay?

Maybe its the GIGS maybe its not but making myself wonder and ask why/what if will just drive me crazy. I will not be contacting her and if I do see her I will do what you said smile for a nanosecond and carry on with my chin up.

Good on ya buddy..

• Author
Good on ya buddy..

Thanks! hope youre doing well. im at 50 days BU and 35 NC and wont be breaking it on christmas.

i dont know if this is even relevant to now, but 3 years ago to the day she broke up with me she we were seeing eachother and she dumped me early nov 2011 and I did NC for a month and she came back. we were seeing eachother for 4 months and she txted me breaking up similair to the letter. explaining my feelings for her were a lot stronger then hers.

im trying to kill all thats left of the hope that she will come back.