Why does my ex boyfriend still keep in touch with me and keep my things?

Janellerising

Long story short, there was this guy who I met this summer. We clicked right away, and while we didnt officially date, it still felt so real. The first time we hung out I left my bathing suit at his house so we'd have a reason to see each other again, which I told him that. He would come to my house every night for almost 2 weeks so he could sneak me out and go to his house or wherever.

Things were going fine until one day when I almost got caught by my parents (they didn't like us together) that was pretty much the last time we were together and that was why we "broke up". There really wasn't any transition out of us, it was just one day he stopped talking to me. He was afraid of getting hurt. Also I was leaving to go to college in a month.

Now here I am months later, and I'm going to be moving back home, which he knows. We still keep in touch, and actually made plans to go to my cabin to hang out. However, as of a couple days ago he started dating this girl. Last night we were talking and he said how she " messed up already " because she cheated on him. We then talked about when we first started talking and and the memories. He said how he still has my bathing suit from the very first week and sent me a snapchat of him wearing it (don't ask haha). The song "all too well" by Taylor swift perfectly explains our relationship.

I guess my question is why does he still keep in touch with me, and reminisce on what we used to be... Why does he still keep my bathing suit and tell me he misses me.. What am I to him? I'm confused.