He says he loves me but wants to take it slow...

We were dating for 1 1/2 yrs now, it started with alot of trouble cause he had a gf for 4 yrs already when we met but didnt tell me. After all ups and downs he broke up with both of us 3 months ago. We were fighting alot cause of all the lies he was telling me about the other girl and she is stil trying to be with him and acts like she is still "wifey" but he says he wants to be with me and loves me and he just wanna be friends with her. BUT we are not in a realtionship now cause he says he wants to take things slow as we been fighting so much and i have no trust in him anymore. I honestly dont know what to do, if i am being just playedby him as he is still in contact with his ex on a daily basis and she still texts him she loves him...i feel like he doesnt know what he wants or who he actually wanna be with, cause every time we are together and she calls he tells her he is doing something else but never mentions me as he doesnt want her to know he is spending time with me.

So we agreed that this summer we are going to his hometown so i can meet his family, i know he has 2 weeks off in june but he said hewanna do it end of july...that makes me wonder if he is trying to win some time to make up his mind. We actually live like we are in a relationship now but when i try to talk about our future he just wont commit to anything. Am i waisting my time????