Girlfriend Dumped Me- My fault?

I took her out to the movies and dinner a couple of times over the summer and everything seemed great. She seemed like she liked me a lot. Then she went to Europe and she came back. Our relationship became a little more serious, or official. A week after it became official, we hung out again and at the end of the date she tells me she just wants to be friends. I just said "That's fine." and let her go. Two days later I called her and basically asked her not to do this and I asked why she did do it? She didn't really have a clear answer. It was a jumbled of mixed answers and a lot of "I'm sorry." I immediately went to no contact. A month later, on the first day of school, she texts me, "Oh how was your first day back?" I got really pissed and ignored it until I went to bed, and just wrote, "It was ok. I've had better." She tried to make more conversation by saying she is super psyched for this year, but I just ignored it. The next day back on campus, I approached her and tried to give her flowers but she got pissed. I just walked away. The day after that I tried to get more of a clear cut answer. Her response was, "You're just looking for something more serious then me. I don't want you buying me gifts and taking me out to dinner. I'm an independent person. I liked you I really did, but, I like the freedom of having to flirt with other guys, and when it became official I felt obligated to talk to you all the time." Slap to my face. Maybe I was a little clingy? I don't know. Seems like I texted her more then she texted me.

It's been basically two months since the breakup. I will see her on campus sometimes and she will look all happy with her friends. But I never talk to her. Luckily we didn't have any classes together this year. I'm just upset because it seems like no matter how much I exercise, or take out other girls, or hang out with my friends, or try to keep myself busy, there is always that feeling of missing her. It seems like she came out on top all happy, and I got the bitter end. How do I come out on top? How do I get back to me being me? I want happiness and freedom.

Move on...that's how you get back to normal. NC all the way and don't look back. She told you what she wanted and that was the explanation you sought for.

It may be that you seemed too clingy for her, but it sounds more like immaturity on her part. She's too young to settle down for one guy it seems.

Good luck.