I need a lot of time to study, and I don't feel I can devote myself to him anymore

This is my story:

I have just started college, and I am in a very demanding program. I have been dating the same guy for 2 1/2 years. He was my first love, and I will always love him...but I dont know if I'm in love withhim anymore. I've met someone else, but thats not the only reason I want out. I feel trapped. He has our whole lives planned out, and I'm only 18 years old! That used to make me feel secure but now it makes me feel old. His family talks about when we're getting married too. I need a lot of time to study, and I don't feel I can devote myself to him anymore. I get so irritable around him lately and I feel bad, but I just can't help it. I don't know what to do. I owe him more than a "See ya, I'm out!" Can anyone give me advice?

It's pretty typical for first serious relationships to have that "I can't imagine anyone else!" feeling....and they tend to go on about twice as long as they should. Be happy that you have realized that this relationship has run its course and you're ready to move on with life.

I think you should be straight with him. Tell him that you loved him and you valued the relationship, but you've reached a different stage of your life now. It's time for you to explore yourself and the world with your expanding mentality, desires, and goals - he should do the same. Even the best of young relationships end....understanding that they DO end is a sign of progress.

Either way, you should not remain in a relationship that is unsatisfying. All you owe him is a respectful explanation of your feelings.....you owe it to yourself to be true to them.