Is it really over?

Hi all. In desperate need of advice. My ex and i were together for two and a half years. we were each others first real relationship and the first person we were both intimate with. Were both 23.I thought everything was fine between us untill the day i got a call saying "we need a break", without any explanation why. I was very heartbroken over this and could not deal. I drove out to his house a week later and demanded to know what happened and why we needed a break. To make a long short, he met someone else and said he wanted to be with her to see if me and him is what he really wanted. we decided we were going to be friends. he emails me and calls me once in a while to see how i am. im not really sure if its really over for good because he does still call and email me, he tells me he loves me, he thinks about me all the time, and he wants to get back with me and marrry me one day because he loves me. Can somebody help me understand what he means by all this? And also his bithday is next week, do i call him since we decided we were t6o remain friends?

no, hes not good. hes disrespecting you. why do you want someone who is with someone else but is telling you they love you? hes crappy. say goodbye to him and keep walking. there will be much better to come along.

you can call if you want and say hey happy bday, but thats all. i cant beleive hes doing that to you.

just because yall were eachother's first, does not mean you are bound to him for life. let this jerk go