everything great..then bang

I've been with this girl at my school for 16 months (we are both 18 and have now finished). Anyway thinks have always been really good with us, we weren't just partners, we became best friends too. There wasnt a day that would go past without us contacting each other. It hasn't always been easy to do so either becasue her parents don't know about me, so we mostly spend days rather than nights or evenings together, but we've been able to work with that and take our opportunities. Plus we'd decided we would go to uni near each other so that things could carry on and we could finally spend the time together that we wanted to. We have had 2 or 3 arguements in the last 3 months, which I'll admit I haven't handled well but nothing major. But I put these arguements down to us being stressed about exams and that because of the exams we hadn't seen or spoken to each other as much. Now the exams are over things were getting back to normal. We saw each other about a week ago and went to lunch then the cinema and things were good and we were generally all over each other. We then saw each other 5 days later, but in the meantime we were just as normal sending each other texts and saying how happy and in love we were. We went to the prom style ball together and had a really good time and although she had to leave early (which we had a really minor arguement about) we had a great time, and even that night she was texting me good things. The next day we spoke twice, completely normal conversations. The day after that we'd arranged for her to come over so we could spend the day in bed together which we hadnt done for about a month because of the exams. Anyway she came over, and broke up with me. She gave reasons such as things being too serious (they were serious but we were both equal about things in that respect), that going near each other at uni wasnt good because we'd spend all our free time together (that was our original plan, but we could easily spend as much time seeing one another as we do now) and not make friends, she also said she didnt see the point in carrying on because she couldnt see herself with me in 6 years time like she used to, and generally reasons like that. I spoke to a friend of hers, and apparently just a few days before the prom she said things werent as good as they were with us, but didnt mention breaking up. I don't get it because we were still all over each other as usual and up until the day she broke up with me, nothing was different. anyway i rang her the other day and asked to see her, she said she'd let me know when she was free. I thought this was a bad sign but she rang me the next day and now im meant to be seeing her today... but i dont know what to do. Any advice for how to get her back? I don't want to lose her just because theres a chance things wont work.

I don't understand why you had to see her behind her parent's back. That may have to do with the reason?

But perhaps she's right... you might each go to uni and find a whole new world of people and things for exploring. Why not accept that at face value?

Why must it seem serious, when you have a few years to decide seriousness. If you take things lightly, perhaps you two can still enjoy each other's company this summer, and then plan on spending more time individually when your school starts.

18 is terribly young to create serious relationships... especially when you have a whole new playing field coming up.

• Author

well things were great for 2 days. now she says she loves me and wants to spend summer with me but wants to go to uni single. I know I should let go, but i can't... so please any ideas on how to get her back properly?

I'll be honest mate, I don't think you have much of a chance with her now! I have seen this a couple of times with friends of mine. They were going out, sometimes for several years, then they go to uni and it all goes tits up. They make new friends, get new interests and often don't have time for a relationship. Well, not until things have settled down a bit that is.

I don't know if being with each other during summer is a good idea! Isn't this going to make it sooooo hard when you split in September? You may be hoping that during this time she will change her mind, may be she will, but I personaly doubt it.

I disagree that 18 is too young for a relationship though. Two close friends of mine starting going out at age 13 and are still together. They have both just turned 30! They actually managed to stay together through uni etc so who knows!

Good luck mate, hope it works out for ya - follow your heart!

Cpunch75 - Uni single

He means she wants to go to university single, rather than when she is in a relationship!