Explain to me...

how I am on a date with an amazing girl, we talk for 4 hours straight about everything, I am having the time of my life...

...and I still can't stop thinking about my ex, who is no way near to what that girl is (I saw last night at a st. patricks party and it got me a little screwed up).

why?!

Because your ex is still imprinted in your brain. Literally. Relationships--especially long-term ones--affect brain physiology. Long after the relationship is over, our brains can keep responding as if that person were still with us. It is not unlike what can happen when someone we've known for years dies. We still feel like we want to be with them, even though they no longer exist.

can you explain the physiology behind it and how it changes??

is it oxytocin acting as seratonin blockers? or endorhins and adrenal release halted?? how does it work?

can you explain the physiology behind it and how it changes??

is it oxytocin acting as seratonin blockers? or endorhins and adrenal release halted?? how does it work?

I am not a doctor or biologist, so I am probably not the best person to ask for a detailed description. But put a term like, "the biology of love" into google and see what you get. There is a lot of research going on in this area right now, and the findings are helpful in mkaing sense of these kind of problems.

Even the best of scientists have yet to deduce the precise combination of hormones and neurotransmitters that prompt feelings of love, infatuation and longing.

I'm betting that if/when they do, though, all hell will break loose.