when should you break up with someone before they have a chance to break up with you?

i've learned that if a person comes on a little too strongly and talks about wanting a future with you within mere weeks/months of knowing you then you should cut ties with that person. this type of person is usually driven by infatuation, isn't the commitment type, and will break your heart when you least expect it.

That's a very harsh thing to say. How can you take so many conclusions just because someone feels strong enough to dream of a future? Did that happen to you?

i've learned that if a person comes on a little too strongly and talks about wanting a future with you within mere weeks/months of knowing you then you should cut ties with that person. this type of person is usually driven by infatuation, isn't the commitment type, and will break your heart when you least expect it.
You know what, I think you're right. This is my experience also. These kinds of people are adrenaline/dopamine junkies and once all that has worn down the actual working together and working things out because you're committed doesn't seem to be worth it any more.
LucreziaBorgia

I can understand that. When you are first with someone, you are both giving your A game the entire time. You fall in love with the ideal version of that person: the version they use to win you over. You don't see the underbelly until much later. A person who falls too hard and fast for the A game is usually the one most disappointed by the underbelly. It is not easy to be the one that someone is putting up on a pedestal - lots of pressure there. The person standing up on that pedestal is left wondering what is going to happen when they step down and reality sets in. Some people don't want to take that chance, and will bail out before that happens.