How could he not love me anymore?

I've been with my ex boyfriend for almost 2 years and we broke up 4 days ago. We were childhood friends that found eachother again. We were also eachothers first loves. We, like so many people moved way too fast and faught a lot. But we also loved eachother a lot. But we did eventually slow things down and we were both happier. Anyway, I broke up with him because I didnt like when he ditched me for his clingy family.

When he came to get his things I tried to talk to him about it and he said he saw it coming and that we've both changed. I kept trying and then he switched and said he hadnt changed. Then he finally said "I'm not in love with you anymore." He said it started about 2 weeks ago. What troubles me is the he's said this before, last yr when he was tired of fighting. I had kept talking to him and he had confessed that he felt like telling me he didnt love me was the only way he could stop our fighting. But he says that things are different know. He say he really means it. He never acted any different these past 2 weeks.

He would still reach for me at night when he was asleep and he would be his usual affectionate self without me asking for it. He said it was habit and he was trying to feel the same way about me but I just dont understand how you can control those kinds of things when your asleep. Also when we said goodbye he hugged me longer than I hugged him. What I realized just a minute ago is that 2 weekends ago we had gotten into a fight because he wanted attention and I told him I needed to study for finals and that my career is a certainty and dependable and he is not.

I know I hurt him when I said that but he's proven to me many times that I couldnt depend on him to get his act together and really move forward in our relationship. But I was ok with that because he made me happy.

How do I know the truth? Please help. it wasent perfect..but I love him