His ex girlfriend still in the picture and causing so many problems with us

[sIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I have been with this guy for over a year and a half. When I first started dating him things were great until his ex girlfriend was out one night. She started seeing someone three months after they broke up and moved in with him right away. Well…that night his ex girlfriend was fighting with her live in boyfriend and needed comforting. She got drunk and told him she wanted him back, and wanted to give their relationship another try. Not only did she want him back he also told me that it was really hard for her to see us together. She saw how happy he was with me and the way he looked at me. She told him that he was never like that with her and started crying. At the end of the night she asked him if she could sleep over his place. He told her that it wasn’t appropriate to have her sleep over his place. I was glad he told me what she said.

After all this I told him that I felt uncomfortable with him hanging out with her if she still has feelings for him. He got really upset and told me that she is a good friend and didn’t want to cut her out of his life. I told him fine..it’s over. A few months went by and he called to say sorry and wanted me back but I told him that I would only go back with him as long as there is not ex girlfriend baggage. He stopped hanging out with her but only for three months. By that time I was too attached and told him fine hang out her as they are usually with a group of friends at a weekly dinner gathering.

Anyway, there are more details but they are not important. We continually fight over the fact that he wants me to hang out with his ex girlfriend. He wants me there every week to enjoy these dinner with him and now wants me to go to function that includes her. I have tried a few gatherings but she ignores me. We can’t get past this..it so hard and we don’t know how to resolve it.

I realy don't want this relationship to end, please help..