family would be in disagreement

my boyfriend and I have been discussing it for a while and we wanna move forward and get married. the only thing is that I know my parents (specifically dad) wouldn't be the happiest about me getting married as young as I am, they expect me to accomplish a lot of things, but my plan for my life is far different to theirs.

undeniably, I would want my boyfriend to have my fathers blessing, but ultimately, I do not care. I love him with all of my soul and know that I will not ever want to be with anyone else, so why wait?

any advice please xx

As long as you are of legal age of consent, do what you want. There's no reason getting married should stop anyone from pursuing or reaching their life goals. It's simply a partnership. In fact, a healthy partnership can be a tremendous asset in reaching one's life goals.

Generally, and even we old farts were young once, part of being young is feeling all these strong and dramatic feelings about soul mates and you and me forever and all that stuff which is simply our brains calling us to mate and continue the species. You may end up being with this person until you're dead. The odds are no. Still, keep an eye on your life goals and see how it goes.

Welcome to LS :)

How young are you?

Can you & your BF afford to pay for your own wedding & support yourselves (get a place to live, get car insurance, pay utilities, buy food etc.)? If so you are free to do what you want.

However, as a compromise consider a long engagement until you both graduate & gets jobs for instance if you don't yet have a degree & a career.

• Author
How old are you and how long have you and your boyfriend been together?

I'm 22 and we've been together since I was 18

I would like to add that I'm a qualified teacher, and my boyfriend is a lawyer. we have thought this through for a very long time.

a note about my parents: my elder sister got married at the age of 29, and that's why I said my dad wouldn't be in agreement with it, sort of like follow lead kinda thing

Edited by Leetal

Since you have jobs & can seemingly support yourselves, act like adults & do what you think is in your best interests. I do think that a long engagement may help you keep peace.

Since your BF is a lawyer work with him to craft the best arguments in favor of your union. Win your parents over with logic not emotion.

• Like 2