Thoughts on babies at weddings

Hi y'all!

How are you doing?

I was just wondering your thoughts on this. I was invited recently to a "no children allowed" wedding, which I understand is very common.

I saw there was an approximately one year old baby there whom I'm told still breastfeeds occasionally but eats solid food. All other babies around that age and younger who were not breastfed were not invited.

Is this common or a no no? Should the bride and groom be managing who is breastfeeding and who isn't when it comes to babies or should it be a rule across the board when it comes to babies? Of course I understand a full time nursing mother cannot attend a wedding sans bebe.

Just wondering what y'all thought

Thanks so much- have a great day! xx

I don't have any experience with this...but I cannot imagine it was a case where on the invitation it said "Breastfed babies okay, all others no" or something.

It may just be a case that children were not allowed in general but they made an exception for this one friend/family member's specific case. :confused:

• Like 1
pink_sugar

I agree, allowing some but not others is tacky. If small children are the concern, a "no children under the age of 12" is sufficient. I remember I wanted to have a childfree wedding, but my MIL was rather offended by it because one of the friends she wanted to invite had like 5 kids. :rolleyes: We ended up allowing children at the wedding because one of my H's cousins otherwise wouldn't have made it without them as her H was working at sea. I had never met her and my husband hadn't seen her in some time. The people with 5 kids didn't attend, thankfully and the wedding went fine.

Edited by pink_sugar

I don't have a problem with a quiet baby at the ceremony. My parents used to bring me to wedding ceremonies all the time so I could see how pretty the bride & her bridesmaids looked. Then I would go home after the service. If the baby is fussy the parent needs to take the kid outside.

Some receptions charge for kids & if it's a high per plate place with no discount even though the kids won't be drinking it's really rude to bring kids.

• Like 1
pink_sugar
I don't have a problem with a quiet baby at the ceremony. My parents used to bring me to wedding ceremonies all the time so I could see how pretty the bride & her bridesmaids looked. Then I would go home after the service. If the baby is fussy the parent needs to take the kid outside.

Some receptions charge for kids & if it's a high per plate place with no discount even though the kids won't be drinking it's really rude to bring kids.

I agree...we had to pay her head at our wedding...so the $50 cost per person applied to children and adults.

Silly_Girl

'Breastfed occasionally' seems odd. It's usually regular (even if once per day) else the milk dries up.

When my son was young I'd have declined an invite that didn't include him. Not because I was offended but working full-time left just 2 days free each week and they belonged to him :)

I'm very pro babies at weddings, if it's a regular family-style wedding. We left off some children at our wedding, they were kids we didn't know/hadn't met, places were tight, and the parents were happy to leave them at home (or rather, with grandparents).

haribogumsnickers

The baby is part of the bridal party. Has to be otherwise that rugrat crashed the wedding. Kid has much potential.

I haven't been to a child free wedding but it's the bride and groom's rules. I'm there for the food anywho.

I think it's fine as long as you're not offended if people don't come. My breastfed baby still eats every 2 hours...and not all babies take a bottle, so I HAVE to be there to feed her. So obviously, I would decline the invite that excluded children. Which is no big deal to me as long as the bride and groom didn't act all butthurt about my absence.