Alcohol as a wedding gift...???

Stay_Gold

Is alcohol a good/viable option to give a couple as a wedding gift...???

One of my very good friends is getting married and I am contemplating what to get him as a wedding gift.

I know that a wedding gift should "technically" be directed towards the couple (man&woman) as a union of their love and marriage but I don't really know his fiance all that well and have not hung out with her much. I just feel like my gift should be more directly reflected on him and not her as I really don't know the fiance much.

The reason alcohol came up is because I have known him for many years, he's a good drinking buddy of mine and I know how much he likes to party and drink...so I was thinking of getting him a bottle of his favorite liquor.

Just don't know if this would be an appropriate wedding gift as I have not gone to many weddings and its my first time thinking of alcohol as maybe a good choice to give as a wedding gift.

Thanks.

I've only done this rarely and when I know the couple (both parties) are collectors, like of specialty or vintage wines/liquors, etc. An example would be a specific brand/vintage wine/port/champagne/cognac, etc. usually in the 100-200 range, as is typical for a wedding gift in our social circle.

Otherwise, generally, no. I'll either get something off the registry or get them a gift card to a favorite shopping venue.

• Like 1

No, no, no.

If it's like a basket full of wine glasses/ shot glasses/ classy snacks and then an expensive wine/liquor then maybe.

Or, a bar cart/cabinet fully stocked...

Other than that, no. Get them a gift card. You can give your buddy the bottle of booze in private. You don't show up to a wedding with a bottle of vodka with a bow around it lol.

mammasita

Most couples have a wedding registry......did you look at the wedding invite, it's usually included.

If they don't have invitations or a wedding registry, it's probably a shotgun wedding and I say go for the liquor. Cheaper the better ;)

d0nnivain

If it's a collectable, maybe.

Otherwise I'd go with the registry or perhaps get good glassware for consuming the drink.

Money is always a welcome wedding gift.

You can buy him the booze for his birthday.

I have given alcohol as a wedding gift. The bride is a good friend of mine and drinking is something she enjoys. I came across a bottle of chocolate vodka and thought that would make a really nice gift. I did, however, also got them something from their registry, since I didn't think the vodka on its own, despite being unusual, was enough as a wedding gift.