where to start?

countryrider13

countryrider13

Where did you and your fiancee start in planning your wedding? Finding decorations, food, music, wedding dress, location, one to marry you two? I have no idea where to start. I'm also a plus size, 20 so where to look for a gown at?

Start with a budget. Weddings are ghastly expensive so before you start dreaming about your platinum wedding, you better have a sense of how much money you have to work with.

I'd check out TheKnot.com It's the quintessential wedding site but be warned, the women on that forum are vicious so read through a lot of posts before you dive in.

I agree. Start with a budget and the fundamentals like: Any traditions that you must do? Open bar? Once you have those staples, then you can work around all the other things. I'd also think about themes and things like that... We have a theme but our wedding is over a year and a half away which gives us time to find things in unusual places. We found some great decor items at a flea market when we were traveling and was able to get them for super cheap and they're unique also!

mercuryshadow

The best place to start is with a budget. If your parents are traditional, they may want to help with the expenses. When you have at least an idea of your budget, look for a venue that is within your allotted budget. If you are not religious, and don't belong to a church, you should find a venue where you can have the ceremony and reception. Or, if you wish to have a religious ceremony, contact a church. These are your first steps. Once you have found your venue, come up with a formal guest list. Then decide who to have in your wedding party.

Next, find music or a DJ, officiant if you don't have one

through a church. Then book your photographer and florist. You should send out save the date cards a few months in advance, and invitations about two months prior.

The dress can wait for a few months. You won't have trouble finding plus sizes at main stream wedding dress stores.

I felt lost at first, too! But once you book a venue, things start to fall in line. :)

• 2 weeks later...

First off, congrats! I got engaged in July and one site that was extremely helpful was theknot.com! We set up our website and registry through it and found vendors as well (such as DJs, florists, venues, etc.).

Venue comes first, then I got our engagement pictures done. We loved our photographer so we booked him. Now we're in the process of finding a DJ, florist, and officiant. We're both very non-religious people so we're just looking for someone funny! Order the dress 7-8 MONTHS before your wedding.

I'm planning on sending out the Save the Dates in a couple of months (our wedding is in July 14) and have decided to put our website on there so people can read our story and get directions, etc.

Bridesmaids dresses and groomsmen tuxes come next...then wedding bands for each of us. Finally, invitations are supposed to be sent 8 weeks before the big day!

Good luck!