Getting Married in the State of NJ?

drawermirror

I've been reviewing the procedures on getting married in NJ.

Some of the information is conflicting, and even the department at the municipal office says different things.

My actual wedding ceremony will be held on March 2013, but apparently, I can't apply for a marriage license until one month prior. First of all, I don't understand this. We're eventually going to get married, so I don't know why we have to wait until one month prior.

Anyways, is there a procedure where I can apply and immediately obtain a marriage license? I've heard that I can get married in front of a judge and obtain a marriage license. I looked online for this but couldn't find anything.

The reason I'm anxious about getting a marriage license so quickly is because I want to live with my fiancé. Our parents would agree to this until we're "officially" married.

As I understand it local control trumps the state in New Jersey so the requirements are convoluted including having licenses for religious ceremonies and having to register in the brides and not the grooms community. How same sex marriage when they get it will effect that? Probably call for a full scale rewriting of their laws.

I think it's the same in NY, I've gotten three marriage licenses and all could not be gotten sooner than 30 days prior. Also, when you apply and receive it, it's printed in the paper. At least it was, I can't say I've noticed lately, but it was with the real estate transactions.

What's the logic behind having to wait 30d ?

It's not that you're waiting 30 days ...it's that you cannot get a marriage license any sooner than 30 days prior to the marriage because....if it were a longer period, many licenses would be issued to people who never ended up actually getting married.

• Like 1