Ordering a wedding dress online

KraftDinner

Any experience with this?

There are some amazing deals, and I really have a small budget for the dress. Like a few hundred dollars. Which may seem unheard of to some, but it's totally doable.

The problem is, I worry about ordering one and it comes and looks like crap! The return poolicies seem weirdly inflexible.

I'm also trying to find any cheapo dress stores in the Seattle area but haven't done much about that yet.

Don't focus exclusively on wedding gowns. Look also for ball-gowns or elegant formal evening gowns.

I wore an evening gown for my first wedding. Nobody could tell, and with some differing embellishments, wore it on several occasions afterwards. nobody guessed, either way, it was a 'multi-purpose frock'....

• Like 2

TaraMaiden has an excellent idea. You can buy a white evening gown and nobody would suspect a thing. You can also search for clearance dresses or off the rack at any bridal store. Be warned that most of these dresses are in very small sizes.

David's Bridal has an online store with very inexpensive gowns.

Another option would be buying a knockoff dress from a Chinese company online. I know you may think those online stores are dubious scams, but there is one dressmaker whom I have read nothing but rave reviews about from real brides. Best of all, for an extra $20.00 you can have your dress custom made instead of picking a size.

If you choose to go the online route, PLEASE make sure that you have a professional measure you and double check the measurements.

Here are the links to the aforementioned stores. Happy shopping!

Discount Wedding Dresses,Plus Size Wedding Dresses Wholesale -Dressilyme.com

Buy Wedding Dress Online, Prom Dresses Online - David's Bridal

• Like 1
  • Author
KraftDinner

TaraMaiden, you're absolutely right...I wore a prom-type dress for my first wedding. I should hit the stores as grad season is coming soon, good idea.

Nyla, yes! David's Bridal, I've heard of that. I think I saw that in my online search, plus I think my friend got her dress there.

Both great suggestions, thank you!!!

Nyla, where would a person go to get professionally measured? Dumb question, perhaps. I am going to check out those links!

I knew posting here would be helpful, yay!

There are amazing deals on eBay for cheap-a** wedding dresses, most of which are manufactured in China.

I ordered a gown as sort of an anticipation of a wedding dress: If the site did well on the gown for $250, I would consider getting the wedding dress from them.

The gown was a fiasco (but part of the problem for me is I am *very* busty and it is extremely difficult to get things to fit properly) and I am going a different route for the wedding instead.

Instead, I happened to find the exact same dress in white that I wore on our first date in red (you can see it in my profile picture). Since we are having a low-key wedding, I didn't want a full, sparkly dress that would only get one wearing. I have ordered the dress and will have it altered accordingly when the Big Day gets closer.

• Like 2
Any experience with this?

There are some amazing deals, and I really have a small budget for the dress. Like a few hundred dollars. Which may seem unheard of to some, but it's totally doable.

The problem is, I worry about ordering one and it comes and looks like crap! The return poolicies seem weirdly inflexible.

I'm also trying to find any cheapo dress stores in the Seattle area but haven't done much about that yet.

The most common type of problem are cheap 'bootleg' wedding dresses that are copies of the designer. I went with houseofbrides.com because they are one of the few online outlets authorized by designers to sell legitimate dresses. They sell dresses at wholesale prices, so you can save at least 50% versus a store. Go to a seamstress for your measurements and order your dress at least 4 months out so it arrives on time. You can also try on that particular style in a bridal salon before ordering it online.

• Like 1
The most common type of problem are cheap 'bootleg' wedding dresses that are copies of the designer. I went with houseofbrides.com because they are one of the few online outlets authorized by designers to sell legitimate dresses. They sell dresses at wholesale prices, so you can save at least 50% versus a store. Go to a seamstress for your measurements and order your dress at least 4 months out so it arrives on time. You can also try on that particular style in a bridal salon before ordering it online.

I agree that bootleg dresses are a problem, but the dresses at dressilyme.com are actually made properly even though they are knockoffs. I have read overwhelmingly positive reviews and known brides who have bought from Dressilyme. Those women were happy with their purchases.

KD, you can be professionally measured at by any seamstress. It helps if you use the same seamstress to alter your wedding gown. Make sure that you wear the same underwear or shaping undergarments that you will wear for your wedding, along with shoes the same height as your wedding shoes.

Corset back wedding dresses are much more forgiving than button or zip backs; the corset can make your gown up to two sizes larger or smaller.

Ordering your gown custom made alleviates the need for major and expensive alterations. If you decide to order online, give yourself at least 4-6 months to have the dress delivered or allow for exchange time if there is a problem.

• Like 1
donnabella8

Another idea is to try looking in vintage/thrift/consignment shops, you just might find something unique.

Here in the U.S., most dry cleaners have in-house tailors/seamstresses that can measure you, as well as alter anything you purchase - might be a less expensive route. Not sure if it's the same in Canada.

Good luck and congratulations!:D

• Like 2
  • Author
KraftDinner

Great suggestions! And so my search begins in earnest...

And I found a David's Bridal really close to where I live. So guess it's time to get measured.

I'm looking for something kind of less gowny...like knee-length or even a bit higher. But still not too informal or sundressy. There are some cute shorter ones out there!

We're getting marrried on a beach (not sure where yet!) so I don't want anything too long getting all sandy.

CarrieT, that dress is so nice!

• Like 1
ImperfectionisBeauty

I wouldn't that would take the fun out of dress shopping, I would also never buy anything bootleg but that's just me.

I took my last wedding dress to a consignment shop to sell. It sold for maybe 800. I paid 5 grand. Go to a consignment shop. Wish I had.

I wouldn't that would take the fun out of dress shopping, I would also never buy anything bootleg but that's just me.

When you live at home, it is easy to say you would never buy cheaper things before you know the reality of paying all of your own living expenses.

• Like 2
ImperfectionisBeauty
When you live at home, it is easy to say you would never buy cheaper things before you know the reality of paying all of your own living expenses.

A wedding dress is something I absolutely will not compromise on, I don't care if after my wedding I have to move myself and husband back home with my parents I won't compromise on a dress for the most important day of my life. I don't buy anything bootleg so I wouldn't buy a dress bootleg either. I might not spend a million dollars but I would spend a lot if I fall in love with a dress.

A wedding dress is something I absolutely will not compromise on, I don't care if after my wedding I have to move myself and husband back home with my parents I won't compromise on a dress for the most important day of my life. I don't buy anything bootleg so I wouldn't buy a dress bootleg either. I might not spend a million dollars but I would spend a lot if I fall in love with a dress.

I guess this where I differ greatly. I am middle-aged and know that spending thousands and thousands of dollars on something that is going to get worn once is - to me - a waste of money.

I would rather put that money towards a honeymoon that we will both enjoy and last significantly longer than "that one day."

I am thrilled that my dress only cost about $175. And the shoes were $10.99.

I am going to spend more on a cheese offering at my reception (that more will enjoy) than I will on what I am wearing...

ImperfectionisBeauty
I guess this where I differ greatly. I am middle-aged and know that spending thousands and thousands of dollars on something that is going to get worn once is - to me - a waste of money.

I would rather put that money towards a honeymoon that we will both enjoy and last significantly longer than "that one day."

I am thrilled that my dress only cost about $175. And the shoes were $10.99.

I am going to spend more on a cheese offering at my reception (that more will enjoy) than I will on what I am wearing...

I mean that is cool for you, I think if I get married when I am older (no offense) then I probably won't care.. if I am old when I get married I might not even have a wedding just go to a courthouse because it wouldn't be as special or fun (to me) so idk I guess that is where we differ.

The day you were born was the most important day in your life, sweets.

Do you think you could get married if you hadn't even been born? Of course not.

If you would spend a lot of money on a bridal gown but have to live with your parents after the wedding, you are placing too much importance on one day. A beautiful wedding or gown means NOTHING if you don't have a happy marriage. Married couples need their own space a lot more than the bride needs an expensive dress. :laugh:

My dress was not bootleg either, but it was only $700. Most wedding gowns cost 1100+. When my husband and I renew our vows, I will be ordering a knock off dress. As long as it looks beautiful, I don't care what it cost.

When you get older, your priorities will change. I promise you they will.

• Like 1
ImperfectionisBeauty
The day you were born was the most important day in your life, sweets.

Do you think you could get married if you hadn't even been born? Of course not.

If you would spend a lot of money on a bridal gown but have to live with your parents after the wedding, you are placing too much importance on one day. A beautiful wedding or gown means NOTHING if you don't have a happy marriage. Married couples need their own space a lot more than the bride needs an expensive dress. :laugh:

My dress was not bootleg either, but it was only $700. Most wedding gowns cost 1100+. When my husband and I renew our vows, I will be ordering a knock off dress. As long as it looks beautiful, I don't care what it cost.

When you get older, your priorities will change. I promise you they will.

Well if no one marries me I have nothing to worry about lol

• Like 1
Well if no one marries me I have nothing to worry about lol

:laugh:

Touche. However, you are way too young to be worrying that nobody will marry you.

Most adults do marry or cohabit with someone eventually.

I hope the OP has found a good inexpensive option.

• Like 1
I think if I get married when I am older (no offense) then I probably won't care..

Trust me in this - you will care, but your priorities will have changed.

if I am old when I get married I might not even have a wedding just go to a courthouse because it wouldn't be as special or fun (to me)

I haven't been married in 23 years and my first marriage (in my early 20s) was far from a blow-out affair, so this one is that much MORE special because I know it will be the last one for me.

And, in that regard, I am getting THREE ceremonies and three days to wear my dress out of this...

1. Yes, at a courthouse because we live in California and want it legal here before we go to...
  2. North Carolina with friends and family over Thanksgiving where it will be special because the groom's parents are too old to be able to travel to the west.
  3. Back in California, the blow-out reception with great wine and food and all the rest of the friends for whom we wouldn't ask to travel during the holidays.

• Like 1
  • Author
KraftDinner

Yep, Nyla, I think I've picked a dress and it is pretty inexpensive!

But cute. When I find a good pic of it online, I'll post it.

Incidentally, I'll be 40 when I get married and believe me...I care about my wedding! :D Haha!

I used to think that when I was older I wouldn't care about things like my looks or weight but I haven't changed at all in that regard; I still care!

Btw, current frontrunner for the destination wedding: Jamaica! Who knows if that will end up being the winner, but for now I'm pretty excited about Montego Bay!

I went and tried on a few dresses at a shop to get an idea of what suited me. Some shops here charge try on fees but the one I went to didn't which was lucky.

The one I really loved (which incidentally probably isn't what I'd pick now, but it looked great at the time) was ordered from a factory in China, it still wasn't cheap! (800 pounds!)

I then googled the brand and style number and found a few people selling them secondhand, and luckily managed to buy the exact same dress off Ebay for 250 pounds.

It was a little bit big, but getting it taken in was really cheap.

I blew the rest of my budget on some gold Jimmy Choos which I love and still wear now.

Definitely worth checking out second hand dresses!

• Like 1

I would be careful not trying on the dress. Plus wedding dress shopping is so much fun! Go and try them on and get a feeling of what you like and don't like.

I have to say, I just bought a great white dress from White House/Black Market that can be an informal wedding dress, A line, fitted waist, knee length and kind of 50's looking. With a small blue belt you have a very nifty outfit. :)

Dresses, Skirts, Knits & More - White House | Black Market

You pay what you can and want to afford. My dress just came in, it was around

Oh and I got a GREAT deal on some Manolo Blaniks!

Edited by Got it
  • Like 1
I would be careful not trying on the dress. Plus wedding dress shopping is so much fun! Go and try them on and get a feeling of what you like and don't like.

I have to say, I just bought a great white dress from White House/Black Market that can be an informal wedding dress, A line, fitted waist, knee length and kind of 50's looking. With a small blue belt you have a very nifty outfit. :)

Dresses, Skirts, Knits & More - White House | Black Market

You pay what you can and want to afford. My dress just came in, it was around

Oh and I got a GREAT deal on some Manolo Blaniks!

The only thing I don't like about trying on dresses in store is all the pressure to make a purchase there. A lot of those saleswomen are mostly making commission for a reason.

• Like 1
The only thing I don't like about trying on dresses in store is all the pressure to make a purchase there. A lot of those saleswomen are mostly making commission for a reason.

And some of them charge you a "trying on fee".... which is "refundable" if you buy the dress there.

• Like 1

Then you say you are still looking! Who cares what they want or say. You really need to try on lots of dresses anyway so you just say you have a few more appointments set up at other shops and you will think about it.

Easy Peasy. When I was younger my friends and I would take turns being the "bride" and just go try on dresses. Always puts a smile on your face. :D